Nissan Micra K12C air intake is sh*t

So, after looking at the engine of my Micra and taking apart the air intake system, I've finally come to the conclusion that the air intake of the car is, qutie frankly, crap.

Not only is the air intake placed so that it lies on the top of the indicator light fitting and is about an inch from the underside of the car bonnet, with an opening of about 1 and a half inches and fed into a 1 inch pipe directly to the engine; the air has to travel upwards into the air filter and then come down the other side, meaning that not only does the air need to be pushed up through the filter to get to the engine, but it then has to travel back down the other side. The filter size is 100mm wide by 94mm long with a height of about 25mm from the air filter fins to the rubber casing on the filter.

My question is:

1.) Would there be any performance air filters that would fit a filter of this size, preferably one by pipercross? I've looked on their website for a filter and they have one, but the dimensions are too big from what I can see:
http://www.pipercrossonline.co.uk/p...an-micra-k12-10-16v-0103----pp1262-2307-p.asp

2.) Would it be worth buying an induction kit rather than a new filter? Because the placement of the intake is awfully positioned, and the intake pipe is too damn small. So, should I get an induction kit or just fabricate an air intake that fitted somewhere where the intake can get more air into it? Perhaps near where the radiator is, bearing in mind that the bumper is grated to allow air into it.
http://www.pipercrossonline.co.uk/nissan-micra-10-16v--0892---0900-pk206-5096-p.asp

Personally I'd use a new custom intake. You can route it to where you want that way.
Depends what you want though. Nissan spent alot of time and money designing that intake. For economy and quiet running anyway :)

Personally I'd use a new custom intake. You can route it to where you want that way.
Depends what you want though. Nissan spent alot of time and money designing that intake. For economy and quiet running anyway :)

Pfft we don't care abput quiet ;) haha so, in short, would you recommend that I build a custom intake and use a performance air filter or use an induction kit? And where would you route it to, because I don't want to put it somewhere water will get into it or whatever ..... would you just use a cool box and an external air pipe to get air to the intake, like you would with an induction kit?

Pfft we don't care abput quiet ;) haha so, in short, would you recommend that I build a custom intake and use a performance air filter or use an induction kit? And where would you route it to, because I don't want to put it somewhere water will get into it or whatever ..... would you just use a cool box and an external air pipe to get air to the intake, like you would with an induction kit?
If you've got the space then go for it. A cool box is a good idea with a primary cold air feed (from the wings) and a secondary up high should you hit deep water one day. But make it all custom so its suited to you.
Your oil breather pipe can be replaced by an oil catch tank too

Basically it runs a k&n panel filter in the same place as the stock filter, but with nothing underneath it, with 2 supplied induction hoses pointing straight at it with air feeding from your desired place in front bumper.

Basically it runs a k&n panel filter in the same place as the stock filter, but with nothing underneath it, with 2 supplied induction hoses pointing straight at it with air feeding from your desired place in front bumper.

And would you recommend I fabricate these induction hoses or buy them? Because fabrication would definitely be do-able, it's just a question of performance and reliability.

57-0591.jpg
well the hoses you get in the kit are essentially vaccuum cleaner hoses, so yes fabrication would be better.
however, the good part of the kit is the retaining panel that clamps up to the filter holding it in place (as the lower air box isnt needed) - but you might be able to fabricate something there too.

Don't forget the MCM vid where they tested all sorts of pod and cone filters, and even oiled type panel filters, and none were any better that stock. I always chuck a K&N panel filter in my cars and forget about 'em :).

So, just buy a performance air filter and then move around where the air intake is? Or should I leave that where it is? Because, as I said before, where it is currently seems to be a location fairly remote from anywhere you might find cold air, or any air at all for that matter

What mainly restricts current setup is the intake itself. I wouldnt say location isnt the issue - except that the stock intake in its current position couldnt be any bigger due to space restrictions.

with one of the air ducts like http://www.larkspeed.com/index.pl?p=134AINDCT15075&a=i - you would install it ideally in place of a fog light. My last K12 didnt have fogs or any space in the bumper for hoses and ended up having to have them underneath the bumper - which didnt work as it ended up being too close to the ground and thus getting squashed - not good when you are essentially running an open panel in the engine bay, if there is limited cold air feed to it, it would be pulling hot air from the engine.

Saying that, you could just run your hose(s) to join up to the airbox simply in place of the stock intake.

Basically if you can do it with no permanent modifications, give it a go with some hoses and stuff, and you can always revert back to stock.

Back