Newbie.. Fuel Gauge

Hi guys,

I purchased a 1999 1.0 Micra a few ago to reduce the insurance since I'm only 19.

I've not covered many miles, around 60ish but the fuel gauge really likes to drop, it seems a tad lower every time I drive :/ It's dropped 1/4 of the fuel gauge doing so which means I will get around 240 miles per tank driving very carefully, the car has full service history and a few months back had a new oil filter, oil, fuel filter, air filter and spark plugs and it has 13 months MOT with only one advisory on the front cross member.

My 1.6 vtec civic with more than 3 times the power gave me 240 a tank driving it hard

if its anything like mine, it drops like mad till it gets to 1/2 tank then stays there for ages and drops slowly at the proper rate as the fuel gets used, its never bothered me really as i know roughly what i can get from what i put in, and i know when it gets to half a tank i got a lot of miles in it and its accurate after that.

I generally get 70miles give or take per 1/4 tank which I worked out to be 45-46MPG.

I only ever fill up £20 at a time which gives me around half a tank.

You have to remember with Micra that it has a very small fuel tank, so even if you don't get that many miles to a tank it has not really used that much fuel. So when you work it out it might still be doing good MPG

Just ignore the fuel gauge. It's all over the place.
Use the trip instead.

I get 100 miles out of £20 at which point the fuel gauge usually ends up at the last white line which is when I put fuel in.

Just ignore the fuel gauge. It's all over the place.
Use the trip instead.

I get 100 miles out of £20 at which point the fuel gauge usually ends up at the last white line which is when I put fuel in.
i do the same :) and after about 4 £20 top-ups you get a good idea of mpg (mine,s 140miles)

Thanks for the replies, if I can get 40+ mpg doing 3-5 mile trips on town driving I'll be happy.
I'll put in a full tank soon and then refill to work out my exact consumption :)

Back