Fuel Gauge Stuck?

O

onlyamicra?

I bought a K11 a few months ago. Immediately obvious was the problem of filling up with fuel - when although the gauge was only showing three quarters full, I couldn't get any more fuel into the tank.

At that time, the fuel gauge registered, but when I last refilled, the gauge seems to have stuck at half-full. When I turn off the ignition, the needle doesn't move and after many miles driving, the needle hasn't moved.

Is the problem likely to be the fuel gauge, the sender unit in the fuel tank, or something else?

onlyamicra? said:
after many miles driving, the needle hasn't moved.
maybe it's just very good on fuel!!!!!! LOL!!!

i'd say the problem is with the gauge, because even if you kill the ignition it still stays there.
i'd try another gauge from a scrappy as i think you can remove it seperately from the rest of the dials. and see if that works.

i still have a full cluster for sale... yours is a 93>98 k11???
email me if you want them...
or text me on 07951687990
postcode: ol66na

It sounds like the sender unit in the tank is playing up, although the needle could be playing up. Can check the voltage on the sender unit but it requires removing the rear seats.

mike

One thing that you coud do is to take the transparent cover off the dials and give the needle a play and see if it moves after that

does the fuel gauge work from a flaot inside the tank?

if it does this will be stuck or broken

Might not be the float itself, its probably the transponder unit which converts the height of the float into an electrical signal.

I know my dial is always in the same position when the ignition is off, and all fuel gauges are extremely non-linear. I tend to find that the top 1/4 of the tank lasts for ages, then get below 1/2 and it goes down like a lady of the night!

Back