Newbie, but project wanted

esha

Ex. Club Member
ok guys got a few questions and advice id like!
Im looking for a project car to start modding, im fairly clueless when it comes to advanced engine problems, but i can get round most problems as im a foreman at a tyre depot (cheap parts! woohoo!), and have most of the tools i need available.
Really what id like is to buy is another micra to begin modding, at the moment ive got a 1.0L '96 k11 S (dont know if this is super s it just says S on the back) and as its my only form of transport i dont want to start ripping it apart incase i cant fix it to get home. What im wondering is, as its done just over 150,000, is it best to get another newer micra as my work horse and start taking apart the S to mod (new engine and all the rest of it) or should i keep using the S and find another one to mod?
Really ive fallen in love with the one ive got and would hate to just run it into the ground as im not sure how easy they are to find with the spoilers etc on, but unfortunatley previous owners have neglected it quite a lot. IS it worth spending the time and money ressurecting the old girl? Or should i save my pennies and get a later model? I am on a tight budget aswell which makes things more annoying so would it be worth maybe getting myself a basic shell to start working on?

Been thinking a little bit and would preferably want a k11 same as what ive got at the moment, so if anyone knows of any dirt cheap ones going spare let me know

Best thing would be to replace the engine, but only if it's giving you problems. No reason why the engine won't go on longer if you look after it.

would a new engine be fairly cheap? ideally if i was going to change the engine i would put a bigger one in, a 1.4L would be nice but 1.3L is more common isnt it? and is it a fairly straghtforward swap?

i cant see the 1.4 being any greater advantage over the 1.3 to be honest,plus the 1.3 is only 20bhp more than the 1.0l, which just screams a waste of time and effort to me, personally having done the ga16de (1.6 16v) conversion thats the route i would go but it involves a fair amount of work but believe me it is worth it, however i would get another micra if you want to do this,and a donor car with a 1.6 16v possibly a 1995 nissan primera lx or something similar, preferbly with no NATS (NISSAN ANTI THEFT SYSTEM)

sorry guys im not a great fan of the k10! i just have bad memories of my boring stepmum dawdling around in one, and i prefer the shape of the k11!

The only reason i wouldnt go ahead with putting a 1.6 engine in is mainly because of the jump in insurance, but also because im looking to start with something fairly straghtforward to work with, not being very experienced with engines i wanted something fairly simple that wouldnt take too much time and effort to get me started

my k11 has 100,000 still runs lovely, so it should be good just put things like induciton on the S things like that! should be good!

Back