New stereo, tips please!

Hi there,

I love my Micra, but I also love my music. Unfortunately, my Colette only has one truly pants speaker and this is beginning to get on my nerves.

I want to put in something a bit better, not amazing or expensive, but something that will allow me to finally enjoy my ipod in the car again.

How difficult will this be (especially as I will be installing a second speaker on my side) and what snags and problems will I need to look out for?

Cheers,

H

I did this a couple of weeks back, basically both doors already have holes in them to take a 13 cm speaker, You need to cut a hole in your doorcard where these holes are and screw in some new speakers, then you need to run new wires through the rubber grommets in the side of your doors and wire them to the stereo, I suggest you have them both in the doors cos one in the footwell and one in the door makes the sound unbalanced

My car is a colette and I've had a feel but can't detect any pre-cut holes in the door cards. If I just cut two 13cm diameter holes, what kind of bracket/fixing method would I require? Also, I don't know whether there are any holes through which to run wires back to the stereo, I'll have look...

My car is a colette and I've had a feel but can't detect any pre-cut holes in the door cards. If I just cut two 13cm diameter holes, what kind of bracket/fixing method would I require? Also, I don't know whether there are any holes through which to run wires back to the stereo, I'll have look...

If you take the door cards off, on the back of them are two semi cut holes which you just need to cut out completely. The holes for the speaker and screws on the doors are already pre-drilled!

right, where to get 13cm speakers?
Also, will the still sound ####e with my current stereo, the half-poo Blaupunkt Windsor that comes with the Colette...?

I am interested, although I'm not sure if it might be overkill for the low-end speakers that I'm intending to buy. Any more info? To be honest, all I need is a radio because I use an ipod with an FM transmitter... I dont want the hassle of amps etc

H

Right, can anyone tell me if they are definitely 13cm?
From where to where do you measure?

Also, I'm not too sure about where to track the cable as there isn't a hole through the side of the door. There is however, a gap leading to beneath the wing which end up on the outside of the door seal when it is closed, would I track them through the radio antenna cable or something?

I'd appreciate any ideas cheers,

H

If you have a really good feel in between the door and the hinge you can feel a big lump of rubber, (one on each side) you need to go through there. I have arrowed the general area on my pic
In the second pic you can see I have used 10cm speakers which were too small and had to be cable tied in.
07-08-07_1722.jpg

07-08-07_1725.jpg

Thats a beautiful bodge mate!

thanks for the tip, ill go and take a closer look.

EDIT:

OK, I found a little hole on the main bodywork side matching up to one on the door with a little rubber flap on it. I am assuming ill post the wires through here and they should come into the car behind the bit of card on the sidewall of the footwell (nice fiddle job coming on here, i think).
Now, am I screwing it into the doorcard or the metal of the door? Shall i leave the plastic water barrier intact? Any tips on hiding the cut marks on the fabric surface on the door card?

A lot to ask, sorry, but thanks to anyone that helps!

H

Ouch, try not to cable tie speakers, the better the mount the better the bass reponse!

Also might be worth taping up/protecting the speaker cable going into the door :)

I left the fabric intact and just removed the board behind it, it's a little muffled but ok, next week I'm gunna fit proper speakers if you can wait that long I will write you a guide up.
The speakers in there are ones I removed from my fiesta so the cable tie was only a temp thing til I had more cash.
If you want 4 speakers I can show you where to mount 6x9's

Right, a mate has given me two SPLX 13cm speakers, don't know if they are too deep though...

They don't come with any wires, so where can i get hold of some wires with the right connector ends to go between the HU and the speakers?

Your best bet is getting some RCA cables and cutting the ends off the end that's going into the speakers, and connect the positive and negative up using the necessary connectors.

If you get yourself down frauds, they sell all sorts of different connectors, cables etc. Not the cheapest place in the world, but they do have everything required for the job.

The other option is to take your speakers in and tell them what you want.

Also, the speakers screw straight into the doors. You should't see any cuts in the fabric unless you do a very bad job of cutting it!

I wrapped wires around the connections and soldered them, then put tape around them, the wire was just household speaker wire.

OK all done now. fits well and sounds a bit better.

The only thing is that I havent cut a hole in the grey door trim for it yet as I dont really want to bodge it and end up with a horrible ragged hole but this means that with any loud bass, the trip which is stretched over the tweeter bit rattles/vibrates a bit which is annoying. Can you buy standard clip on speaker grilles that go on any speakers?

Also, the sound from my ipod transmitter is still terrible. I dont know whether this is the ipod transmitter itself or the aeriel/connectors. Anyone had this issue and remedied it in the past?

Cheers,

H

Hi,

yeh my ipod transmitter doesn't play bass from songs well, its more of a dustbin sound....lol

I think its the transmitter, mine was £15 so not that expensive, this could be the reason....cheap crap! lol

Buy a more expensive one or buy a cd player that has Aux, or usb connecter, or just play cds like me! lol

Back