Replace stereo: are fascia harness adaptors needed?

I plan to replace the stock stereo with something fancier. I have read through this forum and also other website, but couldn't get definite answers to my question mentioned on the title.

My front dashboard looks like the attachment picture(found the pic from this forum too), i.e., it has a single din slot with a bigger storage lid on top (it is an old model since new ones have double din and a smaller lid). In many threads it is mentioned that a fascia kit adaptor is needed since the stock stereo is not the same size as aftermarket ones (the stock is bigger I think?). And it seems this single din adaptor is quite rare and expensive. However, in this video which shows how to replace stereo for k12,

in the end we can see the author had the same single din stereo slot as mine and he just inserted an aftermarket HU without using any adaptor. So is it stable and safe to do it like that (and do the screws fit)?

Another thing is whether I need a harness adaptor or not? A thread in this forum said k12 uses ISO harness so it is only plug-out and plug-in. But some other threads suggested I need to purchase an adaptor and do the wiring. Which one is true?

Of course I can try to open the dashboard and check myself. But the truth is if I need either or both adaptors, I think I'll just forget about the whole thing. Because I only need this car for half a year. But if it is easy then I'll do it (if neither adaptor is needed I guess it only takes a Sunday morning even for freshman as me), enjoy a bit music, and sell it with some add-on value.

Cheers

Attachments

• micrastereo.jpg
    micrastereo.jpg
    7.4 KB · Views: 1,191
My JVC head unit was fitted without any adaptor but a wiring adaptor was used to plug straight into the Nissan harness. Mine is a 2002 Jap import with the same storage compartment above the radio as yours.

OP
OP
T
My JVC head unit was fitted without any adaptor but a wiring adaptor was used to plug straight into the Nissan harness. Mine is a 2002 Jap import with the same storage compartment above the radio as yours.

Hooky, thank you for your info. So is there some gap between your new head unit and the frame (like in the video, compared to the stock stereo, there is some gap and I am concerned if this is stable enough). Also, do you remember what kind of harness adaptor you used?

To be honest my car was imported without a stereo fitted that's why I got a new head unit as my first job; my JVC has no real discernible gap around it and is quite stable, the wiring harness was supplied by the stereo supplier but I remember there being many types for many different vehicle makes and it wasn't expensive, if you google 'automotive audio wiring adaptor' you will probably find them and your local supplier, or if really in doubt I suggest popping into your local automotive electrician; most companies are happy to give advice.

OP
OP
T
To be honest my car was imported without a stereo fitted that's why I got a new head unit as my first job; my JVC has no real discernible gap around it and is quite stable, the wiring harness was supplied by the stereo supplier but I remember there being many types for many different vehicle makes and it wasn't expensive, if you google 'automotive audio wiring adaptor' you will probably find them and your local supplier, or if really in doubt I suggest popping into your local automotive electrician; most companies are happy to give advice.

Thank you again. I guess I can only know for sure when I open the dashboard and see what the wire looks like, because it seems some K12 have ISO harness and some don't. So I'll go get a aftermarket HU and see the size too. If it doesn't fit or if the wiring seems too complicated, I can always return the HU