New page: Forced Micras

cisco

» CMF Member
http://www.micra.com.au/community/forced-micras.php

Just completed that page. Its replacing the old "Hot Micras" page for a couple of reasons:
- Hot Micras, had become basically all about forced induction micras as that seems to be what everyone is doing. NA micras are beautiful, but its so expensive that not many people have a 100kw+ NA micra outside Japan.
- Hot Micras never had a standard list of headings/items for each car. I wanted to list each car's mods in a uniform way so that it is more like a useful comparison sheet.

Hope you like it. Some of the info is incorrect right now, but I just threw some basic info up there to get the page started. I also need to play with and improve the layout a bit.

Still have to add: Mighty, Gareth, and any UK guys who have their turbo conversions finished. Mighty and Gareth, can you send me some pics please.

Evade: Can you update your specs and make sure I have it right..?

Reverb: I need to confirm I have your specs correct, I don't think it is 100%.

This page can be kept up to date by the site editors. So its another page that shouldn't end up very out of date. As you may know, I've been gradually re-writing parts of the site so they can be updated by site editors without me having to do anything.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Come on the rest of you guys, send pics details to Cisco so he can build this page. Cisco need some more pics of Bluey but know you are waiting until the next upgrade is finished.
Bluey should be at the top of the page Cisco. Come on, do not be modest.

cisco

» CMF Member
Great thanks.

Yes please, pics and details of the other forced cars please. This page will become the epicentre of forced micras. Bring it on.

Well might make it smarter and sort by power figure or something soon. But didn't really worry about the order at this stage. heh.

CMF_Gareth

» CMF Member
Oops, i'll try again.

Hey guys. Sorry. I havent been on for a while. I've been playing heaps of golf, as I will be trying to qualify for the NSW open in November.

I will get some pics to you ASAP Cisco. My car is a little overdue for a service, but is still going well. Nothing new to report, I still need to fit those clear side blinkers:)

Hmm, I see that the forced Micra page has quarter mile times on it. Think I will go to the drags and try and run some respectable times before that one gets filled in hehe:)

Hope everyone is well.

Cheers.

CMF_DaveNE.UK

» CMF Member
eesh you guy should be ashamed lol only one runner out the pack. seriously tho guys get some times in, respect on evades time that i swift indeed.

Dave bull from the UK has just achieved a:
13.26 qtr @ 119.7mph

http://www.micra.org.uk/showthread.php?t=4364

must admit he is kinda chaeting tho with a highly tuned and turboed SR20DE-T, this run was with street tyres and @ only 12psi read the thread mentioned theres a little vid too.

CMF_Ed

» CMF Member
Dave bull's K11 is something else, but really a bit out there with nothing to compare to. If that engine was in a pulsar, it would be nothing that special. In a K11 is all very well but its not really a micra now is it. So it doesnt really prove anything, except quite a bit of fun, because you cant race it against anything with such a large cc advantage!

cisco

» CMF Member
I don't see a problem with putting the evil SR20 thing on the same top 10 page. The engine section will show that its an SR20turbo, and people will know its not an authentic/original modified k11. You can just look below that car at the CG13DEs if you're only interested at looking at modified CG13DEs etc.

This way it gives me something to aim for. Imagine getting a better time than an SR20 micra in blue monster when its back with its T28BB and 20psi. Would just be awesome considering my car still handles.

I love that with a highly boosted CG13DE your car still handles strongly and is efficient on fuel when you're not boosting.

I say if this guy has gone to all this effort to build this crazy SR20DET micra then he deserves to be as high on the list as his car can go fast. Doesn't make it an authentic CG13DE modded car, but its still a fast capable micra. Ignore it if you only want to look at CG powered micras.

I'll just be trying all the more to beat his times.
Makes it interesting! Bring on the competition!

A wakefield lap time page is another totally different topic mighty :)

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
Hey Cisco why not dedicate the top ten to the Japanese and have a section with street registered cars with street tyres, And then another for others (SR20T and slicks) and drag type cars..

Just something different.

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Bahaha sorry cisco

Heading out this Friday though hehehe

I agree, technically the SR is still in a Micra chassis, just its engine and drivetrain are different. Ignore it if you don't want it in..

Sean

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Excellent pages. Great to have all this info in one place. Certainly a gaggle of awesome micras !. May I suggest adding a 0-100km time ?. This is the benchmark I personally find most useful for "real world" street driving.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
I agree with makes - and that is where the micra shines with its short gearing.

Like i've said time and time again, 400m times arent a very good representation of real world street performance. Commodore and falcon drivers cant seem to fathom this...

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Have Aaron, reverb, myself, Gareth or family hack done internals Ben?

In summation... No you don't need to, but it will limit boost and reliability.

And 400m times actually DO reprasent real world drivability pretty well

Sean

CMF_bosito

» CMF Member
I just suggested that because I love it when people get out and have a go. I reckon mighty's lap time idea is an even better way. Its one thing to go fast down the quarter but an all round balanced machine pulling awesome lap times is the ultimate in my opinion.

CMF_Ed

» CMF Member
1/4miles is about how fast the car is not anything else. Clearly it doesnt show midrange responsivness it would be foolish to think that, and besides when you come up against a car on the road and you give it 'large' the 1/4 mile time is every bit as important, on the road as on the track.

Also dont try telling me you never go above 110kph (68~mph)

IMO people who are afraid/refuse to do the 1/4 mile are afraid of showing up the claims they say their car can do.

See you on the track..

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
It sounds like everybody is getting a bit carried away here.
For those of you that have not run a 400m time before it is a very addictive and enjoyable thing to experience as those of you who have done so no.

I personally thing it would be more fun to take my Micra out to Darlington Park for some laps, I mean these cars handle very well and can brake extremely late.

It's quite funny watching a Commodore try and pull up hard afew times and see smoke pissing out of his breaks.

As far as standard road cars go the Micra is lacking in straight line speed straight away. In turbocharged form they can be very lethal and shame out alot of bigger cars.

Why not try to have times for 0-100 and 400m if people are uncomfortable then just leave them out..

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Its a good discussion I think..

Personally I'd love to see lap times (from a track of course... derrr) but its too hard to standardise.

Whereas the quater mile and 0-100km/hr is generally done on flat, almost identicle surfaces.

So all in all, the 0-100km/hr and quater mile show not only the power your car can make, but also how you put it to the ground. A lap time shows all facets of how your car handles..

Sean

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Hee, hee good thread. Everyone is correct.
A lot depends on the skill of the driver as well.
I guess a dyno graph gives everyone an indication as to what is possible after that a lot of variables but agree 0-100kph and the standing quarter are a good start.
Circut times also good but driver skill plays a big part in this and I guess how hard you want to push.Main thing is to enjoy your car anyway you want and if you never do times no big deal.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Ed: Just because I'm an 18yr old Male Provisional License holder with an SSS Pulsar doesnt mean I do increddibly stupid things, like street race with speeds in excess of probably 30 or 40km/hr over the posted speed limit.

Its not worth the heartache when **** happens...
The few times I have done silly things I've kicked myself repeatedly, but I've never gone to the point of putting someone else's life in danger.

Sorry to go all out on that particular subject - I'm just sick of people assuming that I'm an all out hoon. Part of the reason I intend to get rid of the pulsar.

Some very good posts back on the 1/4 mile reflecting real life driving characteristics. Yes it DOES show how a car performs outright (i've never doubted or said anything against these lines) i just really doubt how the speeds you reach by the end of it can really tell you what the car is like to drive on the street.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
And just because I am old fart far does not mean I am a hoon either.
I never break the speed limit,fang it at lights or scarper around corners ( dual highway) on the outside of say a Dunnydoor, massive four wheel drive etc or on some long hill knock it down a cog and blow off some family hack who thinks I will be down to 80kph by the time I hit the top.
You young guns have it so hard these days compared to my youth. The world is out to get you.Mind you problem is the stupidity of a small minority paints you all the same way.
I would never make a traffic cop as I would never fill my quota and would be more interested in seeing what mods had been done etc." Let me have a drive and I will not issue you a ticket"

CMF_Gareth

» CMF Member
Personally, the thing I like about 0-100, and quarter mile times is it gives me an idea of what other cars I can have a good run against at the lights.

Even if I don't intend on having a race, its still good to know that if you wanted, the idiot in his XR6 Falcon next to me who thinks he's king ****, would have the smug look on his face wiped off pretty quick.

I do intend on going back to Eastern Creek in the not to distant future. I did go once before but my times were not good. I think Aarons times give me some idea what my car could be capable of. A but more practice on the launch, and my times should be in the low to mid 15s hopefully:)

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
Can anybody give me a rough idea how a turboed Micra with stock internals go's on from 100km or on the freeway, Just wanting to no how much top end you pick up.

Comparing with local 6 ans 8's?

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Yes very true whitey.

There's a number of retarded bulldogs on the roads who ruin it for EVERYONE - in more ways than one.

We cant talk it about it much further without generalising i reckon... and we all know how somepeople around here act when someone types something which may read as a generalisation towards them..

BTW ed - no offense was taken. I dont claim to be mr perfect. I've done some naughty and silly things before. I would imagine most people have. You dont learn if you dont make mistakes I suppose. I've been lucky enough to not be penalised from my mistakes.

cisco

» CMF Member
Tony.

Blue monster did 6.9secs on the gtec timer when it had 98kw at the wheels and stock internals. that was with ordinary tyres and 2 people in the car. So low 6s even with that power if you had good tyres and got rid of the other person I reckon.

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
you're right cisco..mine does it in mid-low 6s. little less power with 92kw but less weight, no huge brakes, etc.

I had a run with an xr6 turbo from 100km/h (so 3/4 into 3rd gear) and was he slowly pulled away..by 180km/h he was bout a carlength in front.

that said before that when i was rolling in 4th he absolutely blasted away. thats the turbo lag for you. gotta be in the right gear. (for me anyway)

aerodynamics and drag of a micra start to come into play at high speeds.

I guess I have the fastest micra in australia at the moment. Only because i've got a time :)

CMF_Tony

» CMF Member
They both sound mighty impressive, And it really is not out of the question for the budget either.

I still can't get over that a standard Micra is 55kw (flywheel) and a stock internal turboed Micra can pretty much double that at the wheels.

It just cracks me up, It's CRAZY and FUN and i can't wait

CMF_Urban

» CMF Member
Yeah, I don't know much about cars... But i certain feel that the micra has one hell of an engine. >:)

Does anyone know why it is such a superb engine? Anythig special about it? Oh well!

Also out of curiousity... can anyone explain the Advantages and disadvantages of a N/A micra, a Turbo micra and a Supercharged micra as how they see it?

Cameron.

cisco

» CMF Member
My thoughts would be:

NA
- Excellent noise, you can't beat it
- Excellent response, instant real natural raw power

- Extremely expensive to make big power out of.
- Will never have the same torque as forced induction
- Involves high revs and high compression to make big power

Supercharged
- Big torque available from very low rpm. I.e. extremely drivable and powerful car. Great throttle feel and pull at any rpm. Get you out of trouble any time without hesitation.
- Simpler setup than turbo (extractors rather than 4-1 custom turbo manifold), however normal extractors don't fit with the supercharger, so end up going custom on a micra anyway.
- Great bang for your buck power-up value.

- Very linear feel above a certain rpm, say 5000pm+ (all depends of course on individual setup) it starts to feel very linear, just like a larger capacity engine - i.e. its not exponential power curve like a turbo.
- Always limited in terms of top end power, i.e. top speed or outright grunt in taller gears. So for a race car going down a big straight, does not compare to the potential of a turbo.

Turbo
- Depending on chosen turbo size, will have inherent lag below a certain RPM. But in reality, this only means not much power below 2500rpm. Above that even a T25 is spooling enough to make at least the same power as a factory micra. So you don't really loose that much. Larger turbo will have more lag though, but more top end pushback.
- Custom turbo manifold required. Careful consideration of turbo positioning and sizing is required for a quality well thought out installation.

- Best value bang for your buck power-up.
- No real top end limit to power achievable. Outright winner of top end power, equals most usage out of each gear and outright top speed.
- Turbo's produce excellent torque (laggy top end power only is a myth from the early factory turbo cars in the 1980's which had larger turbos and low compression, so they took a while to spool up). A properly sized turbo will still produce more torque than a supercharger at its optimal rpm, just won't produce the same torque at the low rpm, i.e. 1000-3000rpm. But at say 4000rpm, a decent turbo will produce as much or more torque as a good supercharger.

My pick is always turbo. But I appreciate each for their own advantages and qualities. NA I just love the sound and the response and whole idea of just hotting up what's there with efficiency without changing a lot - but it costs a fortune and it still won't make the same power as a turbo. Supercharger I love the big raw torque on tap at any RPM, and i love the crazy noise, but it becomes linear once it runs out of puff, they don't provide big top end power.
Correctly sized turbo will outperform all of them. I.e. the early F1 cars with turbos, most big supercars are turbo over supercharger. Once a turbo is in its optimal range and producing boost, its game over. Exponential power curve and away you go. But everything depends on your individual tastes and what you feel like driving at the time :)

CMF_Urban

» CMF Member
Thanks for that cisco, certainly a good read.

I must admit, i do love turbo's...

My cousin owns a (s14 i believe) 200sx
numberplates, HKS-200... Engine hasn't overly been done up, but i still love it...

Her boyfriend owns a VL that is putting out 300kw... When i went in it, i came out with sticky pants... It was intense.... my first time in a turbo car and WOW! Pure sex!

And then my sister's boyfriend owns a Celica GT4... man can it haul ass! 4wd turbo... it just launches!

So i would be very tempted to go turbo, but i can say i've honestly never experienced the thrill of a screamer N/A car... As to why i want to give it a shot in the micra. I just wish i could fast forward 3 odd years! lol... Since i decided to do up the micra... It feels like every day is going for 10 hours longer, Just waiting for it to end so i'm 1 day closer to having a finished micra... lol.

Oh well! I'll live on.

P.S. Sorry about the long posts... Once i start typing i just go on and on and on and on.. I'll try keep them shorter from now on, lol.

Back