[attachment=983]

Attachments

• waynechurch.jpg
    waynechurch.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 149
  • waynetown.jpg
    waynetown.jpg
    182.7 KB · Views: 143
im sure there was a car on the last series of top gear similar to this. No steering wheel, or was it no pedals, cant remember, anywa, dont think it will ever catch on

spot on with fugly :D nice effort tho.

don't think i could drive one, i'd feel like i wasn't in control without a steering wheel

:)

Sorry but that is damn well one fugly car! Why have they taken away the steering wheel? Why put in the weird dildo shaped (guessing) gear stick and possibly steering system?! And whats with the cheese hole wheels?!

Daz

Mercedes have been developing a fly-by-wire system for years. It's meant to be easier to use dues to a fairly straight forward driver-car interface. Think about it... One collective (sorry for using a helicopter term incorrectly but it seems to fit well) containing throttle, brakes, steering and gears controlling all with a single movement. Learning to drive you have to get used to using a steering wheel, using a throttle, using the brakes, using a clutch, gears etc... This could lead to faster reactions instead of lifting off the throttle moving your foot over then jumping on the brakes you just pull the stick back.

It's not new, it was introduced as a concept car in 1996... and Mercedes Benz have always made the most outrageous and innovative concept cars in the industry. Most car manufacturers want to move away from the steering wheel/pedals/gear stick control because it's totally ridiculous. The only reason we keep it is because that's the way it has been for a long time.

http://www.mercedes-benz.com/mbcom/international/international_website/en/com/international_home/home/innovation/laboratory/researchvehicles/f200imagination.html

Theres some information about it.

I can see your point MA12:) but think about it, people have been driving for years using pedals and wheels and knobs! Why dont they just put a playstation pad in the car and let them drive with that instead of making a weird contraption ?>!

that weird contraption is actually a dual control, for RHD or LHD :p it's just two 'joysticks'. If we were to have it in RHD and being right handed ( ifeel like i'm in a minority being right handed :p) i'd want the control/colletive/yoke/stick-thingie-ma-bob to be on the right hand door rather than having to adapt to using my left hand. It's a new control, people would get used to it. It might confuse fixed wing pilots (forward = down etc… ) but it’ll be good for helicopter pilots (forward = forward etc…)

Back