• Please only use these forums for blogs, they are not a discussion forum

New members blog here, lets see how we go

So recently picked up a 1990 Micra LS, K10 so i hear.

Got it for £100 with 33k on clock.

Just passed my test last month, woop woop.

Unfortunately lost my job last year due to health reasons.

All my pennies are gone til im working again, but at least hoping to get this car working and MOT'd. So when i can afford the insurance, it'll be ready to rock.

Cheapest quote i've had so for was from Swiftcover, £692.

Anyone got any better companies. Let me know.

So been trying to figure whats what with the car, and i have very limited car knowledge, I know a lil bit about 2 stroke engines from my bike.

Trying to get the battery out i snapped the top off the retaining peg thing. (looks like a tent peg with a thread on it) bollox :(

Charged battery overnight, car wouldnt start. Made a clicking noise but thats about it.

I tried to start it in first, but it didnt lurch forward as i expected.

I rocked it back and forth in gear as a mate suggested, felt something click into place. And gave it a turn. Well no clicking noise, but didnt start. Assuming old battery didnt have enough juice in it. So its sitting on charge again.

It starts first time everytime with jump leads

Will try again tomorrow, possibly with the assistance of a hammer on starter motor.

But thats 3 things on the shopping list that i can't afford at moment and a few on wish list.

Need (I think)
---------------
Wiper blades
Battery
Starter motor (possibly)
Battery retention peg

Wishlist
----------------
Boss thingiemiejig and wheel
5 gears (still umming and ahhing about this one)
powersteering (dont even know if its possible on this car)
radio (mine has original one in there, love it, but no)
Alarm and central locking.

Well thats about it for now,
might go find a scrappy tomorrow to get a battery if its cheap. But rest will have to wait til i get a lil work through. Am hoping will be working on thursday at least, woop woop

Will get some pics up once im not so ####ed off with the car.

sounds good mate im swapping my 4 speed for a 5 speed box next week got the box for £20 and its an easy job so il let you know wether its worth it, i dont think they ever did power steering if they did then its uber rare and not fitted to u.k models and alarms good idea a lot of k10s have been broken in to of late :)

Have you tried Sky Insurance (As in the top of every MSC page)?

Hope your health reasons for you loosing your job wasn't serious. Don't get ####3D off with the car, I did that once and I paid for it, cut up all my fingers, lol.

Looking forward to some pictures, unsure what the clicking is, when my battery was low the car made a more of a mur mur than clicks. So I'm unsure what might be the problem, though you've got a K10, when my Sierra had a low battery it made clicks.

Hey guys,

Well as promised, some snaps of my micra,

Exterior

259651115_o.jpg

259650903_o.jpg

259650955_o.jpg

259651006_o.jpg

259650632_o.jpg

259650058_o.jpg

259650137_o.jpg

259650263_o.jpg

259650306_o.jpg

259650137_o.jpg

259650263_o.jpg

259650306_o.jpg

259650362_o.jpg

259651555_o.jpg

Interior

259651406_o.jpg

259651447_o.jpg

259651214_o.jpg

259651261_o.jpg

259651312_o.jpg

259651362_o.jpg

259650540_o.jpg

259650592_o.jpg

Engine

259650760_o.jpg

259650801_o.jpg

259650850_o.jpg

259650676_o.jpg

259650720_o.jpg

Bad bits I want sorted out

259651494_o.jpg

259651053_o.jpg

259650198_o.jpg

259651159_o.jpg

259650437_o.jpg

That ought to be enough for now.

Will rearrange this all soon. Just wanted to get something up here.

Quite a few pics there, lol. Looks in great condition for it's price, you mihgt want to sort out those rust spots out first before it's too late. I can't believe how much space is in that engine bay.

i reckon you could get the window seals cheap at a scrappy then they should be easy to change, and have you tried quin direct?

Not tried any scrappies yet, want to get seals and rust sorted.

Although not a clue how to do either. lol. Did i mention i dont know much about this sort of thing? lol

So took car out today for a lil spin, still think i need a new battery as the one in there isnt all that. Didnt start first time every time.

Aslo. After going for a while, then standing still. The car really really sounds like it wanted to stall. Engine barely ticking over.

I was paranoid it'd cut out then not start, so was revving it. But would like to check this out.

Will have to flick through the haynes and check out how to change idle settings. On my motorbike, it's a cable and two bolts to adjust it.

I think handbrake needs adjusting too. Was on a slop and it'd only stop the car if full engaged on. Too much free play or some crap.

Also is there a choke on the car? If there is, i'll be ######ed if i can find it.

Guess thats about it for now, i'm hopefully putting it through it's MOT on the 15th.

If someone's in the london area before then and knows about this sorta thing, please feel free to pop by and tell my what, if anything it'll fail on.

hi mate what part of london as im in sussex so wudnt mind a trip if your not to far, to adjust the idle follow the throttle cable to the carb and where it connects there should be a rest with a screw just turn it to adjust idle, and micras have an auto choke you just pump the pedal once before you start to put it on and it should turn off if you blip the throttle after 5 mins or so

I'm in NW London, Edgware. A1 / A41

Am off til 5th May now seeing mates. Will be back and then got 10 days to prep car and service for MOT. Eeek

back

hey hey hey,

So back from my northern/midlands travels. Went to blackpool, preston, liverpool, bradford and birmingham. Was nice but tiring.

So back in sunny london. Nipped down to lloyds motor spares. Got a set of new wipers and a reg plate bulb for around £10.60p. wooop wooop.

All fitted onto car relatively pain free, i did annihilate one of the plastic screws/mountings that holds the metal trim cover on, oh well.

Only other thing i can think of for the MOT is adjusting the handbrake, it sucks at mo. Wont stop on a slope unless fully engaged.

Might sell it ya know, antique, collectors item, lol.

Just tried to adjust handbrake but to no avail. Nowt is moving.

Now from my view point. I see a retangular bit of metal, with a cable and nodule in the end going in. The other side appears to have a bolt with thread going through it and two nuts.

One inside the rectangle and one just outside, im assuming the inside nut wont move and its attached to rectangle?

that correct?

Might sell it ya know, antique, collectors item, lol.

Just tried to adjust handbrake but to no avail. Nowt is moving.

Now from my view point. I see a retangular bit of metal, with a cable and nodule in the end going in. The other side appears to have a bolt with thread going through it and two nuts.

One inside the rectangle and one just outside, im assuming the inside nut wont move and its attached to rectangle?

that correct?

munkeyboi, it,s best to take the drums off and adjust the so called "self adjusters" first, before adjusting the cable :)

err managed to adjust the cable finally.

Handbrake works lovely.

Ya do realize frank i have limited knowledge and tools? lol ;)

Wanted to know the ramifications for over tightening it?

Also am i right in thinking my tax for the year would be £125 or is it based on emissions?

Also noticed today when i went for a drive, it pulling to the left slightly. Any ideas

exhaust sounds a little rattly too

popped down good old Lloyd Motor spares again,

Got myself 5 ltrs of 10/40 oil, oil filter and fuel filter for £23 not bad I think.

Will try to borrow/blag/steal car stands, torque wrench and oil cap fitting tool and do an oil change.

Fuel filter went on nice and easy.

MOT here we come, eek.

Didn't get air filter as the one in it looks fine.

Nor spark plugs as im a lil confused which one to get.

What NGK ones are best for the micra k10

another question if i may?

Whats this?

altenator.jpg

The little cylinder thing with the wire coming out. on the side of the altenator

What does it do?

My wire broke out, so i stripped it and shoved it back in.

But ideally would like to replace that part. but god knows what it is

Thanks in advance :D

thanks frank

Anyone got a clue to the capacitor size or part number? I want to replace it

Would i be right in saying the NGK iridum plugs for the micra are BPR5EIX?

Would i be better off getting these compared to standard ones?

Managed to do oil change and filter change.

is not in the handiest of places tho

Found a hole in my exhaust right near the rear :(

J5351000.jpg

Is that the part i pictured earlier, attached to altenator.

It was under condenser in the japparts link

What does it do then

OK, so the condenser stops the radio from crackling. (thanks again frank )

Got some of that gum tape to sort the holes in the exhaust. Hopefully thats worked.

Exhaust still sounds rattly sometimes, by the silencer.

Maybe replacing the rubber mounts for it would help?

Got a letter from the council today, i think thanks to my scumbag neighbors.

they said my car is untaxed and abandoned. They want to come and scrap it and charge me £30 for the pleasure too. Called them up told them where to go and the first person who goes near my car gets it. RAWR. Was not happy.

i had a letter about that too, but luckily mines sorn. hate to say it but there are some dam right nosey people out their

Munkeyboi does not know where 2 abandoned cars are

Munkeyboi did not pass one tonight

he certainly did not throw a brick throw the window.

and will not be going back tomorrow to look at the battery.

Honest :D

Ok. So heres latest update.

Am convinced the battery charger i borrow was ####ed so gave it back.

Got 3 batteries here. Put multimeter on all 3.

Only 2 giving out 12v. So 1 defo deady.

checked voltage on battery terminals as engine was idling, 14v.

So that appears to be high, yet im not sure battery is charging.

Answers on a postcard.

Also decided to check all the cars fuses. There was nothing in the aircon fuse slot. So i put in a 15a fuse. Now when ignition is off, no lights on dash or whatever, I can turn the air con on.

Is that right?

helppppppppppppppppppppppppppppp

ok so recent developments are:

Got clamped on friday £260 fine to get it removed, £160 refunded if i show a tax disc in 2 weeks.

car unclamped on monday. Put in for it's "assured" pass MOT on tues. It failed. £54

Then got towed away by council off mechanics drive (so he says) for no tax.

The damn thing is cursed or whatever.

not sure whether to give up on the damn thing and get a different car or what :(

Back