New guy!

Hey everyone! My name is Luís, I'm from São Miguel, Azores and this last Monday, I just got my brand new(ish) K11, it's a 93 pre—facelift with a few spots of rust, with 171366Kms on the clock! It belonged to a lady, and her husband got it well serviced over time (cam chain, ht leads, brakes, etc). Got it for €750, which wasn't actually bad! No power steering, stock Blaupunkt cassette deck and working wipers make my day! But a few things bother me :s It some times just cuts out, for like half a sec when driving but immediatly comes back to normal, seems to vibrate a bit more than usual Micras and when driving over uneven ground, I notice a rattle coming from the passenger side :( Also, my rad fan never seems to work and sometimes temp comes up a bit but drops as I start driving and I noticed a bit of oil on the spark plug tubes :eek: but I will be posting pics of my lovely machine soon as I can! I hope you will love it as much as I do!

Hey everyone! My name is Luís, I'm from São Miguel, Azores and this last Monday, I just got my brand new(ish) K11, it's a 93 pre—facelift with a few spots of rust, with 171366Kms on the clock! It belonged to a lady, and her husband got it well serviced over time (cam chain, ht leads, brakes, etc). Got it for €750, which wasn't actually bad! No power steering, stock Blaupunkt cassette deck and working wipers make my day! But a few things bother me :s It some times just cuts out, for like half a sec when driving but immediatly comes back to normal, seems to vibrate a bit more than usual Micras and when driving over uneven ground, I notice a rattle coming from the passenger side :( Also, my rad fan never seems to work and sometimes temp comes up a bit but drops as I start driving and I noticed a bit of oil on the spark plug tubes :eek: but I will be posting pics of my lovely machine soon as I can! I hope you will love it as much as I do!
Hello buddy - welcome to the forum.

Welcome here, and everyone like pictures so get them up soon. All I can say about the rad fan is that the temp gauge should never go above the halfway mark, and they can be running 20 minutes or more just standing still before the fan even kicks in. I think they are fairly efficient radiators so it won't need the fan unless you're in traffic for ages or something

I'm pretty new at this, so I hope the pic I took is attached, but I will send some more shots later as soon as I get my Android! It's pretty much bone stock, and I kind of like the original alloys, even with all the scrapes ahahah

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 138
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 158
Very similar to mine with the same colour and interior. Looks a really clean little machine, good luck with her in the future. If you are looking for tips to refurb your wheels I will try and help as I have recently done a set

I would very much appreciate that, I try to keep my cars out of suspicious hands as much as I can, unknown mechanics and paintors are a big no no for me eheheeh

What I did was gave them a really good scrub with a very rough brush for cleaning floors etc, and get absolutely all the dirt/brake dust/tar spots off. Knock off any bits of loose paint or chips with a scraper or something like that. Sand down any heavy damage with 180 grit if it is really bad which some of mine was. Sand that down with sand paper going up the scale until you remove all the scratches from the one before. Keep doing that until you get to 800 grit. Then anywhere where you had to sand through the paint to get rid of the scratch, use epoxy resin like jb weld to stick directly to the metal. You can filler over any damage after that, and paint then as usual. Just make sure you don't try and filler straight to metal, it won't stick

What I did was gave them a really good scrub with a very rough brush for cleaning floors etc, and get absolutely all the dirt/brake dust/tar spots off. Knock off any bits of loose paint or chips with a scraper or something like that. Sand down any heavy damage with 180 grit if it is really bad which some of mine was. Sand that down with sand paper going up the scale until you remove all the scratches from the one before. Keep doing that until you get to 800 grit. Then anywhere where you had to sand through the paint to get rid of the scratch, use epoxy resin like jb weld to stick directly to the metal. You can filler over any damage after that, and paint then as usual. Just make sure you don't try and filler straight to metal, it won't stick

Liam thank you for the walkthrough, I will try it as soon as I have a few days to relax, fortunately life has been busy, but my next project is a video for all the friends here at MSC to show my little machine :D

Takes a lot of time alright. I've only done 2 so far, other 2 aren't as bad. I just do a bit after work every evening

Takes a lot of time alright. I've only done 2 so far, other 2 aren't as bad. I just do a bit after work every evening
I will likely do this during vacation, right now I'm struggling to understand why it has an occasional misfire, it idles fine but sometimes it bogs up and returns to normal the same moment, wondering if it is just some old fuel, I don't get engine lights though :/

Back