new engine, help???

babyboom

Ex. Club Member
hi folks, im looking to put a 2002 engine into my 1997 car, both cars are k11 and both engines are 1L, can anyone tell me what do i need to take out of the '02 plate car? ok i know i need the engine itself (no smart ass comments lol) but what about the ecu, wiring loom, that sort of stuff, cheers

the 2000+ editions we usually refer to as a "coil pack" ones as they dont use a dizzy but indivual coil packs on top of each spark plug...

also what parts u got from the 02 micra u know it b much easier getting an engine from same mk k11 working...as with the 2000+ mk4 engines even the connector on the water pump for ur windscreen washer is different...but to add more to the reason of needing to change the loom the dizzy is no longer there so that doesnt read the cam position n they replaced it with a cam sensor on other side of engine which would only work with the 2000+ loom n ecu...the throttle body is different(bosch)

so just saying u only have an engine...
my short list off top of head to get a good working car
2000+
engine
(if u didnt get a inlet manifold u would need a bosch tb too(expensive ######s))
loom
ecu
dash(instrument cluster, one with digital milage and the speedo isnt connected via cable no more)
the hazard lights n stuff would prob b different too(just them being annoying(ur lights r connected through the hazards bit) but if u change loom u would need these connectors (or the buttons but if u got buttons it might not fit into the old style dash...as buttons r physically different shapes)
lambada sensor (in exhaust manifold)
wind screen washer (has different connecter but if i can remember it still is 2 wires so u could try chop off old connector n join it to a new one)

lol as u can c its not so good doing the swap but u could skip on half of these things by splicing it into the old loom which then gives u the hassle of finding out what each little wire is n experimenting to c if it work if u splice it :D

my view in the end is get a same mk engine then its a case of take urs out put that one in same connectors n #### :D in end ur changing the insides of car apart from the shell...

everything is just from my head so could b different in real life so dont quote me on it if it is

ok cheers zephyr, that makes no sense to me what so ever lol, but my pals a mechanic, i'll show him what you said, i'm gonna speak to nissan on monday about it too

depends, if its 'X' and has the silly yellow indicator bits n later shape bumper it'll be same engine at the 2002, if its a 'W' that MIGHT be the engine same as urs (with dizzy/etc)

best way to tell is to have agood look ;)

rlees85 is right bout those W regs r dizzy's n X's r coil packs n all other stuff such as dif bumpers etc...if ur lucky its a w 2000 one lol

damn thats a waste if money isnt it :( but yeh y u all having accidents man! ive seen a snapped front wheel like that b4 a nasty sight...

Back