New bus lane

I accidentaly drove through a new bus lane today - didn't even notice, only knew that I had done because my o/h told me about it when he came in.

It used to be a short dual carriageway (no more than 300m) and about 2 weeks ago they painted a solid line down the middle, but no writing about it being a bus lane. That was painted in the past few days (definitely not there when I last went past on Friday), and I didn't notice - there's a bus stop at the beginning just as it splits into 2 lanes, you usually pass the bus stop, then move over to the left, which I did as usual. Other cars behind me did the same.

I didn't notice any signs warning of the change, there were signs but I just assumed they were the ones that warned of a recent speed limit change, don't know if they were bus lane ones now.

Am I going to get in trouble (don't remember seeing any police / cameras), or should I just put it down to needing to be a bit more observant? :doh:

By the way, this is the first bus lane in about 30 miles of here! o_O

You should be ok, especially if its new, but if there are bus lane enforcement cameras then you'l probably get done. Like you say, no cameras, so you should be ok.

Depends on what time the bus lane operates, and whether they have cameras on it.

Near where I live theres a bus lane at the top of the road, and a left hand turn, you've got about 20 meters of lane after the bus lane terminates so you end up with loads of peeps just going into the bus lane to queue.

A couple of months ago they put up camera's and fined over a thousand peeps in one day.... :(

Still, as it's new you'll probably be lucky!

i use a bus lane on the way home from work every night, quite simply becuase its a left turn which only busses are allowed down and it saves me 5 mins on my journey, i obviously make sure no police are around + theres no bus lane cameras.

in other words you will be fine if they was no cameras

disclaimer: dont drive down bus lanes.

I drive through a bus lane every sat and sun morning on way to a clients house and I avnt been caught yet its just sooo much quicker and when your in a rush it helps :)

Gemma85 said:
I drive through a bus lane every sat and sun morning on way to a clients house and I avnt been caught yet its just sooo much quicker and when your in a rush it helps :)
that is not good give micras a bad name!!!

Back