Need more power...

I've still only done 30,000 miles in my K11C. I have the SE+ version of the micra from 2001. It's supposed to be 1.4i but it lacks grunt on the motorways or up any kind of hill. Performance at lower speeds seems fine.

Can someone give me a run-down of the things to try (in order of increasing cost/complexity perhaps?), so I can figure out what to do? I don't have the time to do any complex mods, but I can pay someone else to do them so long as I can find someone reliable.

thanks,
Simon.

PS: I have *googled* but not come up with anything useful yet.

This site is literally jam packed with tuning information. Just do a quick search or read a few blogs and you will find what you are looking for

Thanks wehey, however I'm still stuck. You've sort-of answered my first question, what to look at first - it seems you're suggesting tuning - that's a start! So are you thinking ECU remap, (supposed to give 5-10% increase in BHP, cost about £200 it seems), diagnostic check or I should learn about engine tuning and start experimenting? I haven't found any blogs on tuning specifically, I've seen lots of blogs of people modifying their cars to get a different look, people adding turbos, and then talking about tuning them, but nothing specific to tuning a factory car (only).

Sorry to be such a noob, but I need to know where to start. I've read through quite a few blogs so far.

thanks.

Thanks wehey, however I'm still stuck. You've sort-of answered my first question, what to look at first - it seems you're suggesting tuning - that's a start! So are you thinking ECU remap, (supposed to give 5-10% increase in BHP, cost about £200 it seems), diagnostic check or I should learn about engine tuning and start experimenting? I haven't found any blogs on tuning specifically, I've seen lots of blogs of people modifying their cars to get a different look, people adding turbos, and then talking about tuning them, but nothing specific to tuning a factory car (only).

Sorry to be such a noob, but I need to know where to start. I've read through quite a few blogs so far.

thanks.
As far as I know, remapping requires another chip/board in the ECU which are not cheap, around £500 mark :O Before you can get mapping.

A good start would be to focus on intake and exhaust as these are generally pretty restrictive.

As far as I know, remapping requires another chip/board in the ECU which are not cheap, around £500 mark :O Before you can get mapping.

A good start would be to focus on intake and exhaust as these are generally pretty restrictive.
aye :) ED (fusion) can map the coilpack ecu,s now eh, and the throttlebody is puny on those, and injectors, and downpipe, and the cat is very deep with fine pores

Back