need help with speedo cable asap

CMF_Marshal

» CMF Member
hey guys
i need some help. my speedo isnt working at all. i cant see how fast im going and its not registering mileage
now i have made sure the cable is plugged into the back of the cluster and it is. everything seems to be pluged in in the bay but its still not working.
any one know what i should try next?

CMF_damo

» CMF Member
hey everyone
been a reader for a while and decided to register so i can join in on the forums. recently bought a micra and i am intending to turbo it soon hopefully. anyway just introducing myself and look forward to talking with you all. i also have the same problem as Marshal with my speedo. any other advice possibly??

damo.

CMF_frank2

» CMF Member
damo WROTE:

"hey everyone

been a reader for a while and decided to register so i can join in on the forums. recently bought a micra and i am intending to turbo it soon hopefully. anyway just introducing myself and look forward to talking with you all. i also have the same problem as Marshal with my speedo. any other advice possibly??

damo.

hi damo, you need to check that the inner cable is turning when you drive the car first really

frank

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
If the cable is at fault, the cable itself snakes around the back of the engine bay to the back of the gearbox. If you have a non-ABS micra it makes life a bit easier to get to the back there, but to get the cable/sender out of the gearbox, you need to undo the two bolts where the speedo cable meets the sender and then pull the plate firmly upwards (might be harder if it's the first time this is done). Once it's out, you'll have pulled out the sender with a plastic gear in it. From there you can work on the cable outside the car, attatch a new cable to it and test it before it goes back into the car. (spinning the gear to make sure the other end of the cable turns too.

If when you bolt everything back up it doesn't work still, I'd then look at the sender. The gear might not be engaging with the drive gear in the gearbox or something then.. I can't imagine there being an easy fix if replacing the sender doesn't fix it though.

---dens

Back