N-CVT Problem?

CMF_DGK

» CMF Member
I've recently purchased a '98 1.3 GX Auto K11, I'd test driven it, and bought it back home 26 miles down the motorway without hitch.

When moving it from the rear to the front of our house last night, I came across a weird problem which I can now replicate, and suspect may be something within or associated with the gearbox.

When decelerating around 10mph and lower without using the brakes or touching the accelerator pedal at all, there is a strange squeal/screach/grindy type noise coming from the front somewhere, and the car seems to judder in response, as if whatever is causing the noise is creating a problem with movement. Hitting either the accelerator or brake pedal seems to instantly stop the noise, as does chucking the gear selector into 'N'.

Along with this, gear selection seems to be very tough, I previously had a '93 1.0 L Auto, in which the gear selection was very smooth, popping from 'D' to 'N' and back was very easy, in the new car however the stick moves smooth as anything when the engine isn't running, but in everyday use it seems like it needs a bit of a slap to get to where I want it.

Are there any common faults which would cause such a problem? Or am I looking at dismantling the transmission completely to locate the culprit?

CMF_DGK

» CMF Member
Apologies, I should have noted that I've tried the diagnostic mode which indicates there is no problem.

I've checked my brushes, and they seem fine, both wearing at the same rate, also the selector cable seems good, to the best of my knowledge.

CMF_slugman42

» CMF Member
Hi GDK
Firstly I am not familiar with the N-CVT but diagnostics says everthing is ok
next check you engine mounts & the crossmember ( that runs front to back under the motor /gearbox) , as both of these are common problems
& maybe explains the stiff gear change ?
thats where I would look next
hope this helps

CMF_trooperx

» CMF Member
i got the same problem with my 97 micra gx . i went to nissan service and they said the price is 3.300 turkish lira = 3.200 aud i found a manual transmission just 1000 turkish lira . in 3 days it turns a manual/t micra ;) ( sorry for my english :S )

CMF_solarice

» CMF Member
iirc the gearbox kicks up and id assume also down at around 10mph...so it could be something to do with the belts inside the box...which would be bad.

Id suggest checking the cvt oil level.

Also check the kickdown cable (its fitted along side the throttle cable) theres a quick adjustment button...push it in and pull the cable backwards, it should be just tight as you start to open the throttle.

however with you also having a stiff gearlever, adjustment may be needed...incase its not quite engaging gear properly.

hopefully one of those may help you, even if its just to eliminate possibles. :)

CMF_DGK

» CMF Member
Thanks for all the replies, the car is presently at my parents house so I've not had chance to have a good look at it recently.

Most things I've read online refer to it being a problem with the Electromagnetic clutch which would probably cost me more than I paid for the car itself to get fixed/replaced, they also note that driving it and/or forcing it into gear could completely bugger the box and render the car useless (Hence it being left at my folks house for the moment). Anyone had experience with this?

In the mean time, when I get change I'll try to check the things recommended:

1. engine mounts
2. crossmember ( that runs front to back under the motor /gearbox)
3. CVT oil level
4. kickdown cable (its fitted along side the throttle cable)

I'm pretty sure the CVT oil level is good, plus it was nice and red and didn't smell burnt or off at all, however I will double check.

It's also worth noting that I have a 1993 1.0 L Auto which can be used as donor parts, I have tried to get the gearbox out of there to attempt a transplant, however it's being a complete pain in the arse, so obviously fixing the newer one would be preferred. :)

trooperx WROTE:

"i got the same problem with my 97 micra gx . i went to nissan service and they said the price is 3.300 turkish lira = 3.200 aud i found a manual transmission just 1000 turkish lira . in 3 days it turns a manual/t micra ;) ( sorry for my english :S )
Isn't there a lot of work involved with this? Ripping out the old box, adding a clutch pedal etc?

CMF_david (2)

» CMF Member
Any progress DGK? I have a similar situation and have had for about 3 years now. It doesn't seem to be getting much worse.

Can anyone tell me where exactly I can check the brushes?

CMF_David Genn

» CMF Member
To check the brushes:
1. Remove the battery
2. Remove the holding plate that is underneath the battery (you have to un-attach it from the fuse/relay boxes first)
3. Next to the N-CVT dipstick is the electrical connector for the brushes. Disconnect this.
4. This electrical connector was plugged in to the brush holder, unbolt this panel. There are two bolts, top and bottom.
5. CAREFULLY remove this brush holder.
6. Check the brushes, they should not be worn down to the mark.

Back