N-CVT

CMF_James

» CMF Member
I'm doing repairs to a British build K11 Micra 01/97. The autotrans won't ingauge. Otherwise the car runs properly. The CVT fault code suggests that it's a faulty speed sensor(wiring or part), which has been replaced and is operating correctly. When the fault codes are cleared from the CVT module the transmission behaves properly until the next time the car is started. I haven't begun continuity checks between the CVT module and the tranmission elctrics yet as I am waiting on the correct paper work for this model. So I was just wondering if anyone had come across this problem and if they could let me know before I start trudging throught the 38 odd feeds to the module.

Cheers James

CMF_James

» CMF Member
No, 1/97 is the date stamped on the complience plate on the firewall. The plate your refering to has the date Dec 96' on it.

CMF_James

» CMF Member
After trudging though a **** load of diagnostic checks the problem seems to be with the Magnetic Clutch. I found while doing continuity checks between the trans computer and the clutch brush holder assembly that the feeds were down to earth. So I diconnected the brusch holder and checked again and the brushes are down to earth. I then did a current draw check on the slip rings on the clutch, I found almost no draw on one and around a 10amp draw on the other. I don't know enough about these **** boxes but theres no way in hell that ring should be drawing that kind of amperage.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Would those brushes be carbon?

They're a known wear point and i think are meant to be replaced at some stage in the cvt's life... Not sure though. May have been imaging things.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
I'm glad I have a 5spd. Ever thought of changing? So many things to go wrong with the CVT.
A number of Primera CVTs have been swapped for 5spd in NZ, as the CVT is too expensive /difficult to fix / replace.

cisco

» CMF Member
Hey I noticed the brand new Muranos come in CVT option.

That's a pretty good sign that CVTs must be getting stronger.

Previously they were only really on gutless cars like k11s and Honda civics.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Yeh the Jazz has CVT auto too and much like the micra alot of mechanics hate them because of it.

One of the more powerful CVT's is the X-trail GT in japan. SR20VET. Standard I think they make the same power as an R34 GT-R skyline.

CVT's are definately getting stronger and better designed. They're fantastic too because they can be programmed to behave like a normal auto, feel like a manual and like in the k11 have outright seamless acceleration. I get wet at what CVT's will be able to do oneday..

For the time being though (and the safer option) is to just be in love with auto-clutching manuals such as the DSG box in the Golf. *drool*

Back to the topic now. :p

cisco

» CMF Member
Yeah that's awesome. I thought it would only be time before clutches were in effect automated. Its not that big of a puzzle even to stick with a manual and make it engage the clutch as needed. Pretty cool!

We are driving such old technology around right now that one day we will look back on and laugh!!!!

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
OK, correction time.
The SR20VET powered X-trail uses an ordinary 4 stage auto.
The Murano uses a cone type CVT with traction fluid rather than the weaker steel belt version.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
It might have been an option then.

Because there's a PNT30 Xtrail GT in australia, brought in as a personal import and hadnt been modified until it hit australian shores. It has the 'retarded' steel-belt type 6 speed CVT which doesn't let the engine go to redline.

I do believe the owner has modified the programming of the cvt computer to hold gears further and allow the engine to touch redline. This has caused the belt to start to slip though. He is replacing the belt at the moment with a Kevlar item from japan.

cisco

» CMF Member
I'm impressed that the Murano has any type of CVT.

I wasn't aware there multiple designs, things are getting pretty good.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
^^ Yeh. About the most complicated thing I think I would like is a clutchless manual.

At least then if the clutch assembly went boom you could replace it without too much drama?

Back