my Xbox 360 has just died :(

hoodedreeper

Ex. Club Member
> CLICK HERE FOR VIDEO <

Yup thats right,i've got the dreaded 3 red lights of doom :( Was about to play Halo 3 on Live,and the console kept crashing.Looked at the disk and saw a few scratches (made by the Tin case which is crap IMO) Anyway i restarted it,crashes again.I do this a couple of times,then restart it again,TV goes blank and i look down and see the dreaded 3 lights flashing :(

Olly, you do chat some crap! lol

If it's less than a year old return it to where you purchased it!

If it's over a year old....phone up Microsoft, they'll probably do nothing as it's out of warranty!

i got it from my Work :) Luckily my boss is in tomorrow so will have a chat with him.Hopefully get some sort of discount off an Elite :p

Olly, you do chat some crap! lol

If it's less than a year old return it to where you purchased it!

If it's over a year old....phone up Microsoft, they'll probably do nothing as it's out of warranty!

All consoles are now covered by a 3-year warranty from Microsoft. They've spent $1 billion on the new scheme.

Don't sweat it, just phone MS and they'll send a box out for you to send it off to them with. Expect to receive a new one within a week :)

Hmmm nearly twice the money of a 360 for no difference in graphics. And no Halo 3. I'll stick to my 360 thanks.

i agree the graphics arent any different at the minute, but microsoft's gaming guru's have had 2 years to develope games for the console... give it 2 more and the ps3 will wipe the floor with it.

and im gonna get a ps3 just after x-mas when GT5 comes out!
im a HUUUGE gt4 nut and cant wait for it.

i agree the graphics arent any different at the minute, but microsoft's gaming guru's have had 2 years to develope games for the console... give it 2 more and the ps3 will wipe the floor with it.

and im gonna get a ps3 just after x-mas when GT5 comes out!
im a HUUUGE gt4 nut and cant wait for it.

Shame that they delayed GT5 for over 2 YEARS :laugh:

I got the three red lights the other day too!
Anyone got the number by any chance?
Need to get it sorted so i can order up halo 3 (Y)

James, you never know when to stop :p Just let it go!! , the world will never be an all Xbox place so quit dreaming :p :p

the world will never be an all Xbox place so quit dreaming :p :p

well it would be (as in discarded in landfills) but as mentioned microsoft are now fixing them, why cant they just make something that works the first time.

Im suprised theyre still allowed to sell the stuff, it either breaks or sets on fire, you can check out the stats for ps3, wii, ds etc's reliability on the net...not that anyone on here will be suprised at the results.

360 is already having trouble playing the bigger games (new gta for one)...but im gonna leave it there to avoid a ps3 vs xbox thread kicking off...not that ive helped matters lol. :D

IMO i like my wii
im not a huge console gamer so going on the wii is a fresh slice of fun
xbox 360 is like a #### version of a PC
and the ps3 has next to no games at the moment, is overpriced and if it wasnt for nintendo, they wouldnt be anywhere.
anyway, i dont care really, i just buy a console to have some fun when im bored

just buy all 3 then you get teh best of both worlds. I only have a PS3 to get now, which will be mid next year when theres actually games worth buying.

from my understanding MS extended the warranty for all xbox owners that got the "ring of death" or 3 red lights to 3 years, so speak to MS they should sort it out

360 is already having trouble playing the bigger games (new gta for one)...but im gonna leave it there to avoid a ps3 vs xbox thread kicking off...not that ive helped matters lol. :D

That's only a rumour. Dont you remember them saying that GTA SA wouldnt fit on a disc for the PS2.... that still worked out ok ;).

The 360 also has better graphics capabilities than the PS3, so speed won't be holding the console back either.

Never had any problems with any playstation, 1 or 2 i've owned.

I'm on my second normal Xbox as the first one had error conditions. Also needed a new power cable too. You can't argue with the statistics that Sony are more reliable units

Ian said:
My PS2 wont read most CDs after a few years. happened to a LOT of people, same could happen with the new gen PS.
Yeah that happened to my PS2 and my brothers! The common "Disc read error" problem

lol, well i guess it's swings and roundabouts! As long as your happy with whatever console you have, who cares what's best.. Just buy both and you can't go wrong (unless you don't have a warrenty! lol)

why does doing that fix it? and for how long?
does it trap heat in causing the bug inside to melt lol (sorry only joking)?
does it trick the 360 into sleeping and so ignors its problem? :grinning:
or is it a joke and the guy has two 360, which he swaps for a working one which we dont see lol?

sorry

p.s yeah ur points very true bour MS replacing it

ps1 i had pin problems, but thats cause they used the little pins to hold the discs...apart from that no issues what so ever...and the replacement if i plugged it in would still be working like a charm.

never had any problems with my ps2 and ive had it from the day it was first released.

why does doing that fix it? and for how long?
does it trap heat in causing the bug inside to melt lol (sorry only joking)?
does it trick the 360 into sleeping and so ignors its problem? :grinning:
or is it a joke and the guy has two 360, which he swaps for a working one which we dont see lol?

sorry

p.s yeah ur points very true bour MS replacing it

MS had problems with the BGA (ball grid array) chip used for the graphics hardware in the 360 and the new lead-free solder that was required due to the new ROSH compliancy that every international company should now follow.

Basically, the solder characteristics were not good for that particular chip, and with the chip constantly getting very hot then cooling off, some of the ball solder joints may lift off of the motherboard and cause disconnections. In the ~600 pin graphics chip, even if 1 pin connection became faulty, you can easily get problems. This then throws up the 'general hardware failure' lights, commonly known as the ring of death.

By wrapping the console in the towel, you get it to heat up even more (dodgy, especially as it will probably lower the life of other components in the console) and get it so hot that the solder joints can melt/fuse back together for a better connection. Quite often as soon as you remove the towel, you get the original problem again.

Rang microsoft today, I'm sending my console back and they're either repairing or replacing it. They pay delivery etc, so sorted!

And they have extended it to 3 years (Y)

They'll send you a brand new one, within 2 weeks usually.

DHL came and picked mine up which I bought in December 2005, the replacement console had a manufacture date of August 2007, I was well chuffed!

Just make sure to remove your hard drive, facia etc before you send it off!

Oh, and they'll send you a card for a months free Xbox Live Gold! I just added it onto my annual subscription so I don't have to renew for an extra month! :)

Yeah that happened to my PS2 and my brothers! The common "Disc read error" problem

very easily fixed that though, i've made lots of cash fixing broken units and then selling them on ;)

Oh, and they'll send you a card for a months free Xbox Live Gold! I just added it onto my annual subscription so I don't have to renew for an extra month! :)

didnt send me one! time to kick up a fuss! :p

If you complain then they'll give you a list of items that you can get for free. You get to pick one, they include such things as new wireless controllers, games, etc.

my Halo disk is scratched to #### so will see about them sending me another one.Havent had time to ring them yet as i've been busy working.

I've got a Nintendo Wii aswell but hardly play it.Doing an exchange with my sprayer...he sprays my Super S Bumpers and some other bits...and he gets my Nintendo Wii :p

Back