My Micra is sick! :(

Hi all, new here this is my first post and I'm after help!

I decided to buy a 1996 Micra 1.0 litre last week as I'm putting the motorbike away for the winter and wanted something good on fuel, cheap to insure and RELIABLE!!! :blush::blush::blush:

I've done 100 miles in a few days and noticed it getting very hot all of a sudden.

I checked the oil and it was ok and no residue on the oil filler cap.
So I topped up the water (it took a litre) and expected it to be ok

Sadly it's still overheating and it got quite hot earlier and steam started coming from the bonnet :doh:

I'm trying to diagnose the problem at the moment.

I'm thinking either bust thermostat or head gasket

Anyone know what I should start doing first to work out the problem?

hi pope :grinning:
i would fill the rad to the brim and leave the cap off and check for bubbles while its running

---

hi pope :grinning:
i would fill the rad to the brim and leave the cap off and check for bubbles while its running

Hi I tried leaving the rad cap off and there are no bubbles, but the water comes out of the rad if I leave the cap off

There is also some white smoke coming from the exhaust now when revved

Did you fill to the brim?
As the gases come through the cooling system pipes they push fluid ahead of themselves. If you got a bad blow, gasket or crack then you will get a mini water eruption out of the filler neck ahead of the gas!
Keep a kettle of hot water handy to keep the system full to the brim.
If you rev the engine while doing it the water level will drop go back to idle & WHOOSH! Keep your head clear!
Whats the pressure cap like?
Do you know anybuddy with a radiator tester??

Hi I tried leaving the rad cap off and there are no bubbles, but the water comes out of the rad if I leave the cap off

There is also some white smoke coming from the exhaust now when revved

Sounds like its burning a bit of water then :eek:

Have you done the obvious of checking underneath for any leaks? Split hoses etc?

Back