my ma12

kev_mono72

Ex. Club Member
ok, can anyone tell me what the parts labled ABCD are and also whats that in the airbox....
thanks!

q4ed.jpg

DSCF0107.jpg

It's all stuff for the exhaust gas recirculation.

Specifically,
A: Tractor Pipe 2
D: Tractor Pipe 1

Haynes goes into it.

thats the same engine as wots in my 1.2 super s, haynes manual doesnt cover those parts

ok, whats it like to drive?
I think i found something like it in the supplement at the back of the haynes (i have the green haynes)

If you've driven an MA10, did you notice any difference when u got bak into your super s?

kev_mono72 said:
Exhaust gas re-circulation?? Would this not be bad for performance??

It may reduce performance slightly. It's purpose is to reduce emissions, which it does very successfully.

quickdraw said:
no as you need some heat in there for the fuel circulation :)

What? What is "fuel circulation"? The inlet manifold is already heated by water, that isn't what the EGR is for.

blacksupers said:
thats the same engine as wots in my 1.2 super s, haynes manual doesnt cover those parts

It is in the Haynes I have here, in the supplement at the back.

Originally posted by quickdraw

What? What is "fuel circulation"? The inlet manifold is already heated by water, that isn't what the EGR is for.

i never said that it was for the that reason. i stated the carb needed heat to stop it freezing !!!

it wasnt in relation to what it was for i replied to the "but isnt heat bad for engine?" question!!

ok, im guessing that wayne is in titch's house....o_O

Oh, and thanks for moving it mike, i dont know why i put it in general!! :upside:

Yeah, as Andrew said, A and D are tractor pipes 1 and 2, exhaust gas onies. B is the thing which controls the flap to alter the air flow otherwise from the nose of the airbox, or from the pipe going to the exhaust manifold shroud, its just instead of having the manual lever like on most other K10 engines. C has a little rubber flappy one way valve thing in it, and some other bits of stuff.
I may be wrong, but being its got all that stuff on it, it might have the ECC carb on it - how many electrical connectors are coming from the carb, and how many pins do they have? If it is the ECC one you might need to change it, or get the ECC unit that sits under the passenger seat.

There's clearly some form of communication going on that I either can't see or understand here.

kev_mono72 said:
Exhaust gas re-circulation?? Would this not be bad for performance??
quickdraw said:
Titch58 said:
i never said that it was for the that reason. i stated the carb needed heat to stop it freezing !!!

What? No you didn't state that at all. The conversation is about EGR, not heating the carb. Carb icing has nothing to do with the fuel freezing, it's water vapour in the air. Try freezing fuel - it isn't very easy.

Titch58 said:
it wasnt in relation to what it was for i replied to the "but isnt heat bad for engine?" question!!

I can't see that question anywhere. Kev asked if EGR was bad for performance. Yes, it is, but not due to heat.

sorry if i never stated the bit i was relating to very precise for u!!

"Would this not be bad for performance??"

is what i was replying to!!!

i again never said ne thing about fuel freezing

i said " i stated the carb needed heat to stop it freezing !!"

no mention of fuel!!

if the carb is frozen. then fuel can not circulate!!

back to the point in which YOU are NOT helping with!!

the point was! the HOT gas gets circulated back up through the airpan filter! which in turn also keeps the carb warmer! (in theory if to warm then efficiancy is worse)
keeping the carb cool (but not frozen, as sometimes happens once aftermarket airfilters etc are added) causing the FUEL to not flow correctly , again obviously this stops the engine performing correctly (same as the carb being mounted on an incorrect angle) the fuel cannot be supplied as suppost to!

edit : just so u dont jump the gun again! i am not stating the sole reason for this is to put heat into the carb!!!

I have a little box under my passenger seat originally with a block of wires coming out of it, i never really looked at it properly but was told that it adjusts the idling speed depending on how much electricity is being drained from the battrey....

Ok, we're talking about engines and something technical. You can't just expect people to infer what you mean from vague, badly formed statements.

It is you jumping the gun, and answering questions that no one has asked. It's like giving your dad's life story when someone asks your name - it doesn't make any sense.

The exhaust gas fed back into the air pan has negligable heating effect. Almost nothing. The point of EGR is to add incombustible gas into the mix.

if i was you get rid of it all, you'll pull your hair out before you get the ecc system to work in a non ecc car, it aint just unplug the box under the seat and replace it with a ecc one, theres ten times more wires going into a ecc box than a non ecc one.

give up with all that ecc crap and get a non ecc carb, inlet and exhaust manifold, non ecc electronic dizzy and stick it all together.

You shouldnt need to change the manifolds, just the carburettor and distributor, although you will end up with a lot of redundant sensors and stuff.. I agree getting the ECC to work would be a pain, especially being you probably dont have all the sensors, like speed sensor in the dials, the vacuum sensor thats screwed to the bulkhead, switch behind the clutch pedal etc..

Ok well im sure that the car i got it from is about the size of my TV by now so what should i do? Just look for another Ma12 to get a carb and dizzy from or will my Ma10 one's work at all?
I dont mind having redundant sensors, all i want is the ones i already have in my L model and for the car to run!

So the Ma12 i bought is not exactly a straight swop after all :(

Yeah you can use the ones from the old 1.0 engine, should work fine, I did that when I put the old super s engine in the 1.0 super. It is a strait swap, its easy, calm down :)

Oh well thats ok, as long as i can make one decent engine from my ma10 and ma12 ill be happy!
I suppose ill have to keep the new airbox because of the tractor pipe that runs up to it, that doesnt really bother me though, ill be happy as long as it works and if it is only slightly better than my ma10 that will be ok because it has the 5 speed box! :D
Thanks creeper!

if you really want the ecc stuff mate stip the car it came from and remove the entire wiring loom it might take a few hours but once the dash setas and carpet are all it its pretty easy to get all the wires out ive done it once before myself :D

Hm. Yeah, not really an option then hehe.. I dunno there didnt really seem to be any power difference anyway, so it would be a lot of effort for not much gain, unless you were thinking of taking up eds idea of using all the bits and pieces for a turbo conversion.

i was thinking about getting a supercharger put into it, i know someone who said they could supercharge anything!
I want to do a few things to it, larger valves, skim the head, 4-2-1 manifold if possible, lightened flywheel...

Make sure you get an MA12 dizzy. The MA10 will run the engine bnut not very well :(

Oh, thanks for that! The MA12 i bought came as it is in the pic above, no dizzy cap or leads, can i use my dizzy cap r do i need to get the ma12 dizzy cap? And is ther any difference in ignition coils?

Whats the difference between the distributors? My ma12 runs fine with the one from the old 1.0 engine

The mapping for the 2 engines is slightly different. I only notice it a top[ end and run on power, both of which are slightly lacking.

The caps should be the same but the coils from later models, facelift I think, chuck out more power so give better spark. I'm pretty sure the MA12 coil is stronger anyway...

thacreeper said:
kev_mono72 said:
Maybe thats why u feel no difference...

Difference to what?

You said earlier that you dont feel much difference in power, just wondering if its because of your MA10 dizzy.

Herr Spliff - I plan to use the MA12 dizzy, i had no intention of changing it, but ill have to keep the ma10 cap as the MA12 i bought did not come with one :( But both my car and the one i got the MA12 from are both facelifts...

Back