My K11 had trouble starting last night, any ideas?

I bought a 1.0 '97 GX on Monday - my first Micra!

2 Previous owners, 48k on the clock and it's been well maintained and looked after. I won it on eBay for £467 taxed (6m) & tested (12m) from a mechanic who'd just serviced & MOTd it, so I was confident everything was okay.

Last night after I finished work it had trouble starting. The starter motor kicked in and it turned over fine, but as soon as I released the key it died. This happened a few times, and I got it started by planting the accelerator and revving it up as soon as I turned the key. It was rather cold at the time (in case this might affect anything). I took it around a few miles to check it was running fine, and then it started first time this morning.

I'm not a master mechanic or Micra expert, so I'm not really sure what the issue might be.

Can anybody offer any advice?

Thanks.

dying ignition switch seems like,,,,,,,,,try keep a spare fuel pump too as yours may be old enough to start giving in to a ghost.

Oh wow, There's a good chance its this, a known issue with 96-98 cars.
It is to do with the wiring loom. Its not a fault, its how it was made back then.
A new loom was brought out with an added 1.5k resistor.

Anyway: symptoms
If you drive the car just 4-5 metres and park and leave it, eg on a driveway. When you go to start it next day it won't start.

To solve this, drive more than 4-5 metres!

To restart car, look at fuses to right of steering column.
1. Engine off, tweezer out the fuel pump fuse (think its 2nd down on right).
2. Now turn the ignition on and turn the engine over for about 10 secs or so and it will try to fire and tickover.
3. Now ignition back off, stick fuse back in.
4. Turn it over and few splutters later you should be up and running again :) da daaaaaaa!

Oh wow, There's a good chance its this, a known issue with 96-98 cars.
It is to do with the wiring loom. Its not a fault, its how it was made back then.
A new loom was brought out with an added 1.5k resistor.

Anyway: symptoms
If you drive the car just 4-5 metres and park and leave it, eg on a driveway. When you go to start it next day it won't start.

To solve this, drive more than 4-5 metres!

To restart car, look at fuses to right of steering column.
1. Engine off, tweezer out the fuel pump fuse (think its 2nd down on right).
2. Now turn the ignition on and turn the engine over for about 10 secs or so and it will try to fire and tickover.
3. Now ignition back off, stick fuse back in.
4. Turn it over and few splutters later you should be up and running again :) da daaaaaaa!
This happened when I got in to drive home from work though, which is significantly more than 4-5 metres from home :confused: Just happened again when I got in to leave McDonald's which, again, is more than 4-5m from home (sadly :().

dying ignition switch seems like,,,,,,,,,try keep a spare fuel pump too as yours may be old enough to start giving in to a ghost.
It happened again this morning, and I think this is the winner. I have to ease off the ignition, because if I just let go of the key it springs back too far and cuts out. Is it just a case of a simple fix (new part) or is it an auto-electrician job?

first make sure the ignition system is in good condition.

check spark gap is 1.1mm and not appear fouled.

clean the white oxide off the dizzy cap points to ensure strong spark during cold start
http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-41#post-500361

if the engine stops when you release the key after cranking and the dash lights turn off, the IGN switch could be sticking, dirty or the spring is old and it gets stuck between START/IGN position.
after cranking, try to give the key a light nudge anti-clockwise to help move the switch back into IGN position but not into OFF position. if the engine and dash lights now work, then the IGN switch needs cleaning or replacing.
http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-29#post-460614

first make sure the ignition system is in good condition.

check spark gap is 1.1mm and not appear fouled.

clean the white oxide off the dizzy cap points to ensure strong spark during cold start
http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-41#post-500361

if the engine stops when you release the key after cranking and the dash lights turn off, the IGN switch could be sticking, dirty or the spring is old and it gets stuck between START/IGN position.
after cranking, try to give the key a light nudge anti-clockwise to help move the switch back into IGN position but not into OFF position. if the engine and dash lights now work, then the IGN switch needs cleaning or replacing.
http://micra.org.uk/threads/pollymobiles-rebuild.35251/page-29#post-460614
Thank you so much! Will get it done over the weekend and report back :D

It happened again this morning, and I think this is the winner. I have to ease off the ignition, because if I just let go of the key it springs back too far and cuts out. Is it just a case of a simple fix (new part) or is it an auto-electrician job?
Worn ignition barrel is not unheard of.

Back