My Headlights......

Hi Everybody,

I've had my little 160SR for quite some time now so i'm used to pretty much every aspect of the car. One thing I've never got used to is how shocking the headlights are. I have always since day one put extra bright headlight bulbs in but it still doesn't help. The overall throw of the lights are just rubbish. Looks like I get around 6ft of throw from the headlights with a really sharp cut off. I find myself driving with fogs on when on the motorway!

Is this common to all K12's? Or is mine unique? Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks

I don't know if this is a common fault...I will suggest that you don't drive with your fogs on because it's an offence unless it's actually...you know...foggy LOL :p

could it possibly be the direction your lights are at?
(have you adjusted the level setting at all?...) ....it's sounds as if you've got your lights dipped too low...

I've got a 2005 Sport+ and have never had an issue with the headlamp "throw" as you put it (I did have to change a blown bulb once though)

another thing to check...perhaps the bulb connections are dodgy or possibly corroded?...I can't really think why they wouldn't be brighter...
unless there is some kind electrical volt/current fault?...perhaps the bulb just isn't getting the voltage it needs to funtion at a proper level of brightness o_O

Might be worth taking it to be looked at unless, you know someone who can look at it for you or you're happy to get at the bulbs yourself of course ;)

Good luck

It's not the height adjuster. I always try that in case the missus has been playing with it. I've also tried manually adjusting the height on the lens and every time it goes for an MOT/service I ask them to double check the alignment. Still never any joy. They are just rubbish.

Brightness wise they are still bright just only to around 6ft from the front of the car!

...Hmmmm....If it's coming out bright from the lamps i don't understand how it's not bright enough?...

do you think you could take a photo...face you lights into a wall or fence so we can see what you mean, I'm not really understanding the issue i think :oops:

...sorry...

I can say that my dads citroen lights don't look as if they are even on sometimes, but they work just fine...perhaps you're just used to brighter lights?... o_O

Are the reflectors OK? My Almera headlights had a design flaw where the reflectors melted and the lights were absolutely useless in the dark! Not saying that Nissan may have made this mistake twice, but worth a check?

I know it sounds really simple level out the headlights but they physically would level out far enough. They only fire out so far. So clearly this isn't a common fault, it is my car. I am right in thinking the headlight leveler is the grey Allen key adjuster on the top of the headlight? If so this is exactly what i have been using to bring the lights up higher. They only go so far and if I over do it the internal reflector becomes loose and wobbles about every time you go over a bump. As if it has come of its tread.

check that the bulb retainer at the back isnt bent or deformed as this is quite common as when people change bulbs they bend them as its such thin metal, this could affect head light aim. also its quite common for the lens to go 'cloudy'

Back