Loss Of Power With Headlights On (K12 1.2 '03)

Hi There, Hope Someone Can Help...

So my girlfriends K12 has developed an issue. When headlights are on the car loses power, moving off from traffic lights even on flat is a major struggle, and gaining speed takes ages and it will not go over 50mph even with your foot to the floor.

It's a good job she figured out that having the headlights on is the cause of the power loss, because if she didn't know and ever had to stop at lights on a hill with this issue then there'd be no way the car would be able to pull off.

Problem isn't apparent with the radio on and the car performs perfectly with the lights off.

I am suspecting the alternator to be the cause and would like to know other peoples thoughts please.

The car did used to make an embarrassing grinding noise when starting, but I always thought it was the starter motor (noise only happened when the car was started and went staraight after). Now after reading a little about signs of an alternator on it's way out, I've read that they can make a grinding noise if the bearings are bad, so thinking that noise was possibly the alternator?

Anyway, hope someone on here can give me some advise, will be much appreciated!

Thanks for the reply Frank and for posting those threads, guess I should've used the search feature on here.

Definately sounds like we have the same problem with our Micra, so I'll check all the rear bulbs etc. Thinking about it, this problem came about after the passenger side brake bulb went and I replaced it (with a new, supposedly correct one from Halfords). Don't see how I could have fitted it wrong though so perhaps the unit is faulty?

Relieved to say the least, hopefully the most I'll have to do is replace a light cluster! Much preferable over buying and fitting a new alternator!

Update!

So it was caused by the passenger side brake bulb being of the wrong fitment! Halfords' fault! I had replaced a while back the top brake bulb in the rear window, the flip chart in Halfords stated that the central brake bulb was the same as the side ones (382), so I had that one new bulb spare (from the pack of 2 bought to replace the central one) so used that when the passenger side bulb went.

Checked the fitment type of the other brake bulb (drivers side), went back to Halfords and got bulbs (380) and the problem is gone now.

How have more people not had this issue? Definitely compare the fitment type of the bulbs fitted to the ones you're buying, don't just trust the flip chart.

Back