My Debit card got cloned!

Kev

Pro Cut Vinyl
Founding Member
Official MSC Trader
Hi all!

Well it appears that on the 22nd of November when I used a local Hallifax ATM, my card was cloned and 4 transactions then took place on the 23rd which are definately not mine!

I found this out last night when checking my balance and I noticed it appeared less then I thought it should be. I have since cancelled my card, when into the bank this morning and then onto the police earlier today, what good that will do, but have to follow procedure!

My Bank are looking into it and will be contacting me shortly. For any Leicester based members it was the Hallifax cash point on the high street near M&S. I would highly advise not using this machine for a while.

With the month I've just had this is really what I didn't need, luckily it was only £80 and I have caught it in time before my wages go in the next few days, because that could have been a nightmare soo close to christmas.

So I now have no card until my new one arrives and some git has £80 of my money or has spent it on something!

Kev grr

Bummer mate, but your lucky it was only £80. Mine was cloned and had £1500 spent last october! which as you can imagine, really put me in the crap.

I did my own investigating and got the buyers address, name, numbers etc within 24 hours of it all happening, from the three companies involved. All this info went straight to the police. As you can imagine, it took them 4 months to raid the place and they'd already gone by then.

Im still considering getting a credit card. You dont have to pay for any fraudulent purchases, and with the police too slow and unable to deal with it, and fraud still on the up, it may be your safest solution

Hope u get your money back soon mate. Took me three months

My dad has always mithered me to use a credit card and pay it off a month later - just never go over my wage. that way you don't get caught in the debt pool.

Still crap hearing about your card getting cloned :(

sorry to hear that but the good thing is you will soon have your £80 refunded back to you from the bank.

My HSBC plastic was also cloned, he/she spent about £250 a week for 3 weeks in Sainsbury in Kent! must have been hungry or something! But then i provided proof that i was working in birmingham all these time, they wiped all the fees off. funny thing is that it all happened around kent where the main HSBC office is (i heard) and the police suspected it was one of their staff.

unfortunately there are many ways to clone a card and i heard of some bizarre ones happened in Hong Kong before. some put a finger print film over the keypad to track your pin, some managed to stick a tiny camera near the top of the ATM machine to record your pin inputting then stick superglue inside the card slot to trap your plastic, while you go ask for help they will do their business.

My dad has always mithered me to use a credit card and pay it off a month later - just never go over my wage. that way you don't get caught in the debt pool.

Still crap hearing about your card getting cloned :(

That is what I do, treat it like my debit card....pay it off in full as soon as the bill comes. I have a "Sonycard" one, so I get points to get free Sony products too.

Sorry to hear about this mate. Hope you get recompensed for the loss, and that the 5-0 (or you) manage to catch up with the scum responsible.

thanks peeps.

Well the Police are not letting it drop and have actually been in constant contact and want to investigate it further and I'm going to the Police Station monday morning and I will be in contact with the Bank in the next few days to find out more on the transactions.

I'm impressed with the service from the Police thus far.

Kev

Hi all!

Well it appears that on the 22nd of November when I used a local Hallifax ATM, my card was cloned and 4 transactions then took place on the 23rd which are definately not mine!

I found this out last night when checking my balance and I noticed it appeared less then I thought it should be. I have since cancelled my card, when into the bank this morning and then onto the police earlier today, what good that will do, but have to follow procedure!

My Bank are looking into it and will be contacting me shortly. For any Leicester based members it was the Hallifax cash point on the high street near M&S. I would highly advise not using this machine for a while.

With the month I've just had this is really what I didn't need, luckily it was only £80 and I have caught it in time before my wages go in the next few days, because that could have been a nightmare soo close to christmas.

So I now have no card until my new one arrives and some git has £80 of my money or has spent it on something!

Kev grr

Lets just hope whoever stole the £80 has bought some really nasty, bad drugs with it.

Alot of banks/credit card companies are now are offering fraud protection wth alot of there cards.

Back