my cold air intake system

CMF_Pyro

» CMF Member
It catches some heat from the engine now, also the filter is too close to the manifold heat shield. I suggest to place it behind the battery, or reroute it along the side of the engine near the headlight.

cisco

» CMF Member
If you put it behind the battery it will certainly not be in the path of any nice cold incoming air - the whole point of building a cold air intake.

I just think it just needs to be extended a bit, to be closer and very snug behinf the front grill, then I would build a heat shield under the pipe so that the engine and hot manifold don't heat soak the duct as it cross over above them.

Keep the pipe straight and smooth. Its on the right track already though.

CMF_carlos_fergando

» CMF Member
yeh looks good!

mines similiar to the red one i have also got a big fat pipe from front grill going to the stock air box. but my pipe is made from metal like the 1st pic.

although i have removed the stock pipes. i didnt see the point of having them there.

i want to build a metal air box same size as stock air box, or slightly bigger. and weld the induction pipe to it.

im a Oxyacetylene welder by trade, so its gonna be pretty simple to fiddle about for a few hours or so.

CMF_DaveNE.UK

» CMF Member
sounds all well and good but why re-fabricate something nissan spent millions researching and producing? i dont think the metal wil keep it any cooler? fair enough feeding extra air to the box but i dont see the point in redoing the box unless its a large system straight from the air feed behind the grill, just a thought, altho it will look nicer.

CMF_NotAnotherSSS

» CMF Member
Easy - nissan spent the money designing something which would allow as much air in as possible but remain quiet.

Making something quiet usually means you have to put some resonators/baffling in place which slows down the airflow.

So obviosuly, redesigning the intake without any thought in regards to noise restrictions SHOULD in theory give you a bit more power, if not just a bit more throttle response.

Thats the way I see it anyway

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
The last pics of the red car...

Damn it looks so stock and impressive. If you could hook that up to the original airbox hole and remove the factory piping that would look so stock, and would probably be a VERY nice intake indeed...

Sean

CMF_DaveNE.UK

» CMF Member
fair point "notanotherSSS", mat humphries does a custom air box re-design in carbon fibre but it costs £255 ouch is all i can say.

my setup comprises of 2 x of air ducting from other cars ofund in the local scrap yard. the rear half of the pipe is from the "nissan sunny 1.6" and the front part is from a "ford mondeo".

lol at the rope yes your right it does look tacky but its not there anymore, it was a tempory measure lol. i now have upgraded to cable ties (woah, classy i know lol) plus i have a janspeed manifold on thier for the time being also. its a nice setup i like it, and yes very stock in appearance. i made the second intake hole the same size as the first just next to the original air feed hole. so in theory i get twice the amount of air and the air feed x 2 should now match the throttle body intake hole. i would also hope that the air in the second feed would come through colder. it makes a diference so im happy

Back