My cargo tray

cisco

» CMF Member
After being inspired recently by ghetto's awesome effort, I made my own cargo tray.

Just need to get it carpeted now.

The front half flap thing hinges and pops up so I keep the sun visor thing and the tools/jack-winder thing under there. Also gives great easy access to the fuel pump if you ever need to.

Attachments

• 14020.jpg
    14020.jpg
    36.6 KB · Views: 18

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Looks good cisco!

Now get a hole saw and drill some holes in the support braces, 4-5 in each length of wood will make a surprisingly large difference in the overall weight!

Sean

cisco

» CMF Member
Heh. Yeah I like the thinking, but its only pine, not a huge amount of strength in those support members as it is.

The top is 12mm MDF.

HEAPS lighter than the seats and associated buckles that were there. It doesn't weigh much really.

CMF_Sean

» CMF Member
Bah stuff you all!!! Heheh

I just read that article on Autospeed on drilling holes into stuff to lighten it...

Been thinking about what to do to the house but don't have any idea's yet :p

Seano

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Hi Cisco,

That looks excellent. You have cut the shape very neatly indeed around the wheel arches etc. May i suggest some sort of strap or clip at the end that lifts up to stop the floor bouncing around over bumps ?

cisco

» CMF Member
Hi Makes,

Yeah thanks, that's an awesome idea. I haven't driven the car much yet with it finished to know how much it bumps/flaps, but I reckon it most likely will make a noise.

I'll definately be keen to do something like what you suggested.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Neat Cisco. You must be pretty handy with the jig saw!!
Stop a lot of noise put some felt on all bits of timber that touch the car. That way if it bumps up and down you will not hear it. You could also use some velcro strips which would stop it totally. Glue onto car metal other bits on timber and I bet no movement and you could still lift it up when needed.
Now you have a template knock one up for me!!

Attachments

• 14046.jpg
    14046.jpg
    44.5 KB · Views: 24

CMF_NeX

» CMF Member
sorry to bring up a thread from the dead. but how is the wood hindged? is it using the existing seat hindges?

and what are the dimentions too?

thanks guys.

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Been planning doing the same almost as soon as I got my micra... dimensions would be awesome to have. I'd seen this installed but never these project pics ;) Was a good thing you revived the thread NeX!

---dens

CMF_NeX

» CMF Member
deNs WROTE:

"Been planning doing the same almost as soon as I got my micra...
dimensions would be awesome to have. I'd seen this installed but never
these project pics ;) Was a good thing you revived the thread NeX!

---dens

lol thanks :D well i have the wood and everything i am gonna do it no matter what so either i get the dimentions from here or i will do it myself and post them ;) i have a slightly more complex idea in mind too, with cubby holes :)

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Haha me too, I wanted some just behind the seats so I can dump stuff in there. Also have the idea of having a sub integrated just behind the passenger seat, if I end up getting one.

Having the central split for the spare wheel + a layout for tools underneath would be really good. My 15" spare wheel doesn't fit in the wheel well properly so I might even mount the amp underneath there too.

Then can register as a 2 seater vehicle.. cheaper to register :)

---dens

CMF_NeX

» CMF Member
deNs WROTE:

"Haha me too, I wanted some just behind the seats so I can dump stuff in
there. Also have the idea of having a sub integrated just behind the
passenger seat, if I end up getting one.

Having the central split for the spare wheel + a layout for tools
underneath would be really good. My 15" spare wheel doesn't fit in the
wheel well properly so I might even mount the amp underneath there too.

Then can register as a 2 seater vehicle.. cheaper to register :)

---dens

lol sounds like you are very close to my idea, i am building an install into the floor :D

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
It'll be certainly interesting to see how each of ours differ once they're done. I'm hoping to have mine all done and carpeted by mid-november so that's my target.

Can anyone quickly tell me how to remove the bottom bench seat thing for the rear seat in the LX? Can get the back of the seat off no issue, but getting the bench seat off seems to be a little more tricky.

---dens

CMF_NeX

» CMF Member
smidge WROTE:

"how hard it is to get those rear trim bits the the arm rests instead of just the flat panels from the LX??

they are a bugger, id not bother because getting them off is so hard.

i will have mine built this weekend, but not carpeted ;) watch this space

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Haha damn, I won't have any time to work on mine this weekend. With any luck i'll remove the rear seats + do the rego thing on monday so I can start getting materials and whatnot for the cargo tray. What type of wood will you be using in yours?

Can't wait to see it :D

---dens

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Hehe nice one. My mate also had a good idea to add to the cargo tray thing. It mightn't be the prettiest, but a cage just behind where the seats are is actually a tempting idea - since instead of having seats preventing things from flying forward; there isn't anything to stop something from hitting you under hard braking. Also you can tie stuff to the cage so it doesn't roll around in the back.

I'll see how I go with some planning tomorrow.

---dens

CMF_NeX

» CMF Member
thats a good idea actually :D well i plan to have speakers pointing at the back of the seats so i am leaving the idea of a false wall. but i left in the roof handles and upright seat clips to run rope through :D

i might put a trap door in the false floor for keeping things in too ;) we will see how it goes :D

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Hahaha omg that's exactly how I invisioned mine.. minus second sub and fan grill though.

Just a couple of questions - are you doing the cubby hole type thing to hold stuff in or you just gonna have it left flat? Also I was wondering how you're securing all of it down and if you were using hinges to be able to lift the back section up.

Looking really good mate.

---dens

CMF_NeX

» CMF Member
lol, well they are actually just woofers from component speakers, they are only about 6 inches. the fan grill is for the amp under the wood.

i think i will put a trap door in the top somewhere. but the gap over the exhaust tunnel (result of dodgy mesuring lol) actually makes a good handle to lift it up.

if you look at the back it is hindged using the original seat hindges. the front is resting on the floor and i will add a bit more wood under it so that it rests on the top of the petrol tank.

then carpet, then my big 10" active sub :D then wire it all in ;)

thanks mate, great minds think alike :D i will get the dimentions up ASAP, but alot of it is still guess work, like the curves for the floor, they were cut 3 times and still not perfect. but i can give you rough dimentions to work to :D

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
I've found a good way to do the measurements - Just get some paper and get the shape of the edges, and then do some measurements between the points so you know how much space there is between each of the points so you can then just trace the edges onto the wood, figure out how much distance you need, then do the other side's edges.

I've got 6.5" splits in my doors, but I think i'll end up integrating a sub box on top of the cargo tray, behind the passenger seat.

Currently i'm thinking of having a frame bolted down using the seatbelt holes and the seat mounting holes, then for the area where the spare wheel is i'll have it velcro'd down. I'd use hinges but there's stuff in the way when you'd lift it up unfortunately. I might actually do the same thing as you've done with the front section - but since i'll likely have a bit of extra room around the fuel tank area i'll plan out for a storage hole somewhere around there. I haven't thought too much about the front panel that goes downwards like you've got on yours there, but i'll probably do a similar thing with a fan - got a few 92mm ones lying around with grills, so the amp gets a little airflow. Can wire that up to the ACC 12v signal possibly since it'll only draw like 200mA.

With the amp - i'll relocate it under that front hinged section, bolt it to either the underside of that section or make its own platform to sit on the bottom or something so it doesn't move when that part is lifted up.

I'd appreciate any rough dimensions as i'll probably draw my own up and compare to yours just to double check.

So where's your sub going?

---dens

CMF_NeX

» CMF Member
that is a good idea actually. :) i did it by eye lol.

i have the same split in the seats but i took out the middle hindges.

thats an interesting idea, but makes removel kinda hard. i want access to mine hence the hindging. i like the velcro idea too, might do that at the back. i was going to have the front pannel at 45 degrees so the speakers kinda pointed more up, but i couldn't be bothered lol. there is plenty of room to have the front pannel even further forward giving you more room behind it. i left out the trap door idea, again couldn't be bothered. looks neater without it and is stronger. yep my fan is wired to the amp signal wire. and i used an 80mm fan cos there isn't much point for anything bigger as it would be up against the front of the fuel tank anyway. and 80mm is nice and quiet. my sub is on top. ok i will work out all the mesurements when i am done. unless you need them sooner then let me know ;)

ok pics of todays work :D

Attachments

• 28242.jpg
    28242.jpg
    26.2 KB · Views: 13

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Very nice. I'm somewhat in the same boat with ditching the cubby hole, but we'll see. If I keep the 15" spare wheel, it'll mean that the whole floor will be raised up more by a few inches - if I end up doing that then I'll have more than enough space for a storage hole or two.

I'll be doing a similar thing with a sub box, however i'll end up just integrating it with the floor. I'll show you what i've got in mind. Also note that these pics are not indicative of the final product :p

MicraBoot1.png

MicraBoot2.png

What wood are you using for yours? I'll probably end up using plywood, either laminated or otherwise.

---dens

CMF_NeX

» CMF Member
looks good mate :D i used MDF. one thing i didn't do with mine that i think you should do, have the top bit of wood going over the bottom bit so that the weight is sitting on the top of the board and not the screws. but i like the design ;) will be nice to see it come to life :D

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
NeX - only 'til I'd uploaded the pics did I realise that it was overlapping the wrong way. Trust me i'll be doing it correctly when I go to put it all together. I was just lazy with editing my post to say it was the wrong way around :)

There are reccomended sizes for sub boxes depending on the size of the sub and whatnot. I don't know much about that or anything like porting and whatnot, so I'll be doing a bit of reading before I make the sub box part of the enclosure. Another reason to do the cubby hole is so I don't have to lift up the entire as above to get to stuff. Tools and whatnot will be kept around the spare wheel which is about 3 or so inches elevated above the wheel well (As it's a 15x6" spare) but we'll see how it all turns out.

When do we get to see the second part of your tray?

---dens

CMF_NeX

» CMF Member
smidge WROTE:

"just curious... why the 6" speakers in the enclosure? and why facing backwards? any particular reason?

they are facing backwards cos there isn't enough clearance for the throw. plus the inverted cone will give a better sound given the location. and they are there cos they wont fit in the doors either :)

CMF_NeX

» CMF Member
deNs WROTE:

"NeX - only 'til I'd uploaded the pics did I realise that it was overlapping the wrong way. Trust me i'll be doing it correctly when I go to put it all together. I was just lazy with editing my post to say it was the wrong way around :)

There are reccomended sizes for sub boxes depending on the size of the sub and whatnot. I don't know much about that or anything like porting and whatnot, so I'll be doing a bit of reading before I make the sub box part of the enclosure. Another reason to do the cubby hole is so I don't have to lift up the entire as above to get to stuff. Tools and whatnot will be kept around the spare wheel which is about 3 or so inches elevated above the wheel well (As it's a 15x6" spare) but we'll see how it all turns out.

When do we get to see the second part of your tray?

---dens

lol well i wish i had noticed that i had overlapped it the wrong way :(

yea correct box sizes make all the difference, thats why i got an active box pre made. and the cubby hole idea seems good, i recommend you try a trap door idea for functionality ;)

hopefully the back part will be done today, but i don't have any carpet for that as they ran out in the shop

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Picked up the plywood just then.. hooray for offcuts. Got them nice and cheap. Measured up the extremities to make sure I had enough when cutting it all up. Unsure if i'm going to do the job with the current spare tyre or not. Might just steal the civic's 13" spare and use it instead.. ;) Either that, or replace the spare with a sub in there with some heavy duty mesh over the top so I can still load on top of it, and find a new place to keep the spare.

Anyhow, will start measuring up the edges this afternoon and possibly get some of it cut out.

---dens

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Been working a fair bit on it these past few weekends and i'm almost getting to the stage where I need to start carpeting it. If anyone's got a good idea of where to get carpet (inexpensively) I'd much appreciate it :) A carpet closest looking to cisco's one like here would be ideal:

http://www.micra.com.au/images/ciscos-k11s/blue-monster/cargo-tray.jpg

Will have pics up possibly tonight of the progress of my setup.

---dens

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Cheers, that's not a bad idea actually. I'm thinking i'll cover the two pieces separately with thin cheaper stuff, then get one big piece cut up to cover the bottom

Finished off the mount thing for the sub and cut the hole for it so getting closer and closer now. Didn't get around to taking pics of stuff today, but will get some up soon :) Kinda hesitant to take pics of this as an unfinished product. Would prefer to show all the progress pics at once ;)

Lot of work this is turning out to be, but then again it's a fair bit more complex than the way cisco's done his.

---dens

CMF_NeX

» CMF Member
sounds good matey :D i keep forgetting to post up specs and finished pics of mine... mine is all sorted now. i use Sub box carpet normally for doing subs. and i did what you did too, carpet each seperatly and then a big bit over all. :D good luck mate, cant wait to see it all done :D

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Got all the wiring sorted now for all the audio gear now.

Parents just mentioned that they had leftover carpet which hadn't ever been used. More than enough to carpet everything there. Not much else left to do now, and I've finished making the perspex/alu surround for my headunit.

All the wiring gets hooked up tomorrow so I should finally have audio to listen to while driving. Wish I had a better headunit though.

---dens

Back