MSC Chatroom - Use it?

Low Rider

Poindexter
Founding Member
Club Member
Just a general feeler. Whenever I log onto the MSC Forum I log into the chatroom only to find James in there.......(always away)......and no-one else in it. Except one night when karlj and eliot were in.....that's been it!

Is there any point to having a chatroom facility if no-one appears to use it?

I sign on when i need help, but i could slip it into my default browser pages and be a definitive member there hey?

Add it to late new years resolution? lol

What you need is a little box at the top telling you who is online there. or in the chat. also chat invites could work...
i always go and am alone lol

I've been on 1 forum where the chat system was integrated into the forum and permanently active, that worked out so well, kind of like a shout system.

Yeah I know the type you mean, I'll look into other solutions as people don't really seem to bother with the chatroom at the moment!

Facebook Chat-style could be quite cool!

Hmm i like the idea, but then again its down to members to start talking an initiating the chat etc, if it were just pinned above all the forum threads at the top, it'd be the first thing people see, and if people were logged in then they could post/chat publically, i just think it needs to be there for it to work if you get me, hassle free, the one on the forum i was at was very good, both social and technical conversations occurred there, and lets face it MSC is a forum with some awesome people (Y).

We try to keep the main areas of the forum loading as quick as poss and free of clutter, so tbh the chat bar is the better option for us.

I will investigate other options though!

James.

I decided against CometChat in the end and went with something else, it may look a tad familiar to another certain chat bar that books of faces use :laugh:

You can also appear offline in the same way too if you wish! :)

At the moment there are two chatrooms, General Discussion and Micra Discussion, if you join one, you get little notification balloons up when someone posts!

Fingers crossed this works smoothly, as we host it instead of using a hosted solution it should be pretty snappy at loading.

I'll implement an option to completely disable it if it's causing too much slowdown for you :)

Let me know what you think!

James.

Haha blimey James, prompt work bud, good one, really liking the look, hopefully members will take to the chartrooms and use the chat functions more now (Y)

First issue i'm having James, i'm in a chatroom but every different page on MSC defaults the chatroom page to the chatroom selection screen.

(So if i move from k11 general to k11 tuning, it'l reset :( )
Google Chrome

IE doesn't even want to initialise the chat bar hehe.

To solve the chatroom thing, I think you can fix it by going to options and ticking "Stay in Chatroom Minimized" :)

As for IE, I'll check and see if there's anything up!

James.

Ahh awesome job james, yeah works a treat, and i know the chatrooms have been used too! Had a good convo on there last night haha.

Thanks again man.

Back