Moving to Aus

CMF_route

» CMF Member
Hi guys, will be moving to Aus from Singapore this coming end December for my studies. Will be studying in the University of Queensland.

Will like to know if Asians are being discriminated over in Brisbane as I'll also be planning on working part time to support my studies (yea i'm aware that I'll only be able to work 20hours as a student).

I'm also looking at getting a car and will like to know how and where to start looking for 1 in Australia. Anything I have to look out for so as not to get cheated ?

I'm definately excited on the move to Australia for 3 years :)

Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

cisco

» CMF Member
Hi route,

Welcome!!! That's awesome news. Good for you, very exciting..

Most cars may be older/dodgier compared to Singapore, rust would be an important thing to check thoroughly for if from and around the Brisbane/coastal area..

From all I know, Asians are very well accepted in most major cities in Australia. There are heaps of Asians in most of our large cities. Everyone I know doesn't have a problem with them.. Especially if you can speak reasonable English you will have no issues at all.. I don't think Australians are racist as such. I think when there have been problems its sometimes to do with people making no attempt to speak the local language and fit in.. If you are happy to be in Australia and your English is already excellent from your posts, then you will be well welcomed and have a great time!!!

If you do happen to cop the odd rude Aussie, it should be few and far between, and they would be your typical "bogan" in that case if they have a problem with you simply being Asian. I don't think you will come across that too much. If you do, they are the loser, not you. Its pretty good in major cities now man.

Hope you have a ball.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
You won't have a problem. You seem to speak proper english and thats what gets on most people's nerves here.

Unless you're Japanese. I think alot of the older australians still resent the Japanese for their part in world war 2. Its not an outright rudeness, its just a general ignorant attitude towards them.

Anyway on a lighter note, we'll have to have a Brisbane meet with an international member!! What course you studying?

CMF_Nudger

» CMF Member
Yeah... I would have to agree with Cisco. I currently study/work at the University of Queensland, the students and staff are very nice (usually), the place really has a very multi-cultural feel about it. As a New Zealander I have felt right at home, as have many of my international friends. Micra's are fairly cheap for something very standard anyware between 3-6k depending on KM etc.

Good luck :)

CMF_route

» CMF Member
Man, I'm feeling the love already...thanks for the help cisco :) english is actually my first language followed by chinese which I cant read/write in (not even my chinese name)

Yom, I'll be taking business.

any members on the site selling their micra? it has always been my dream to drive a 3dr micra since we dont get them in Singapore.

Cheers! :)

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Mate there's a few LX's for sale at the moment. They're pretty barebones inside but probably a better choice for you as parts are easier to find (and cheaper) than Super S bits.

If you want I'm happy to catch up with you once you're in the country and go micra hunting! :)

CMF_route

» CMF Member
Thanks!

GTRHOLIC, omg you sure have good memory! :D

Will let you guys have my number as soon as i get one. Probably end of Dec. 6 more months to go :) cant wait!

Back