Motorbike advice?

goldstar0011

Ex. Club Member
I've always considered getting a small engined motorbike for getting me around locally (to work, mates etc)

I doubt I can afford a chopper so wouldn't mind a scrambler/off roader, firstly, are these actually legal on the road?

Next, anyone how the basics of what I should be looking into for bikes?

Wouldn't wanna spend more than £750 (not even that if I can help it)

Dt125r

Yamaha DT125R, small 2stroke thumber. Legal (usually) 125 crosser, everyone with a bike licence has either riden one or knows someone who has. I loved my mates one, went like stink across every terrain even two up.

If your going for small capacity think of a small 250 commuter or something, if you want/have to stick to a 125 think about a 4-stroke Honda CG125 or a Yamaha SR125 as they are both cheap as chips to run and insure, will go on for miles regardless of the weather and will take a few bumps and scrapes without looking too shabby. Don't feel tempted by the 125sports bike market, your RS125's and Mito's are fantastic bikes but top end rebuilds every 13kmiles and having to run them on fullyy synthetic 2-stroke oil can be expensive. Don't be fooled by the New 4-stroke honda NSR125 as it's just a cheap frame wrapped in plastic with a CG125 engine shoved in, too fragile (bike) and too slow.

But if you want the hooligan element the DT125 is the bike for you, it'll live on unleaded and any two-stroke you put in, stupid amounts of fork dive, lots of suspension travel and with a power valve is good for some barely legal fun.

Enjoy x

ive just talked my dad into giving me his Suzuki Bandit 600. should be a laugh trying to keep up with his new Cagiva Raptor..lol

mind you it did allright with me and him on the back, (64 bhp and 28 stone on it) lol

i have a nice aprilla pegaso 125 italian import. called a super turo i think, basically its semi off road and will do 90mph on road and about 60 off road because of the gearing.

honda do some very good bikes.

don't buy out of trade-it i have had two bikes from there and both of them died within days...

bikes are soooo fun and the only reason i'm not riding mine now is cos i'm a ##### and got scared after it tried to kill me on some loose gravel, put me in hospital for a while lol

get a 125, cos they are cheap to run (fiver a week for me), quick, and the largest engine you can run without going to a full licence unless you do direct access. oh and bikes are usually free to park in carparks, are allowed in bus lanes and only have a number plate on the front so you can run speed cameras :)

took me a quarter of the time to get to work in the morning but twice as long to put all the safty gear on.... and they are sooo cold even when its hot so get them heated gloves or you won't be able to indicate lol

i have a nice aprilla pegaso 125 italian import. called a super turo i think, basically its semi off road and will do 90mph on road and about 60 off road because of the gearing.

honda do some very good bikes.

don't buy out of trade-it i have had two bikes from there and both of them died within days...

bikes are soooo fun and the only reason i'm not riding mine now is cos i'm a ##### and got scared after it tried to kill me on some loose gravel, put me in hospital for a while lol

get a 125, cos they are cheap to run (fiver a week for me), quick, and the largest engine you can run without going to a full licence unless you do direct access. oh and bikes are usually free to park in carparks, are allowed in bus lanes and only have a number plate on the front so you can run speed cameras :)

took me a quarter of the time to get to work in the morning but twice as long to put all the safty gear on.... and they are sooo cold even when its hot so get them heated gloves or you won't be able to indicate lol

Numberplate on the rear surely? and they might track you down if your persistantly going thru cameras. And remember mbikes can only go in bus lanes where it's allowed. There's still an awful lot of cities where it's not permitted.

Numberplate on the rear surely? and they might track you down if your persistantly going thru cameras. And remember mbikes can only go in bus lanes where it's allowed. There's still an awful lot of cities where it's not permitted.

:doh: yep ur right, the plate is on the rear so that you can get your passenger to put there hands over it ;)

all the bus lanes round here are motorbike ok, so i'm happy, but yea there are some funny rules about that sort of thing...

Back