MOT hassles...

Guy

Has gone over to the oily side...
Club Member
On the recommendation of a mate, I took it to National Tyre and Autocare on Chester Road in Hulme, Manchester. They took it in and I read several copies of Mercedes Enthusiast magazine. Eventually, the bloke came through and said it needed loads of bulbs and the driver's side INNER tie rod end was goosed. I asked him to replace all the bulbs and grabbed a coffee...

He came back through clutching the rear number plate bulb assembly - it was corroded to ####! One of the two pins in the assy was missing! He said if I could fix it, he'd pass the car...

So, I legged it over the Mancunian way to Westway Nissan and by complete flook, they had one in (Y). £32 later, in Westways carpark, I removed the bulb assy and found the missing pin was completely corroded into the holder :down:. The parts guy said it was possible a new loom section was needed at great expense...

As the MOT runs out tomorrow, I had visions of ordering a piece of loom and using my Dad's Corolla for a week and then paying for a full retest...

Never saying give up, I legged it back over the Mancy way to Maplin on Regent Road and bought a set of tiny screw drivers hoping the smallest flat blade one would winkle the corroded pin out. It couldn't but I freed the pin and managed to push it completely back into the holder. I connected it up in Maplin's car park and it worked :grinning:!

Legged it back to the test centre and he had alook and printed me off a GREEN ticket for no extra cost - YAAAY! Big thanks to the MOT chap at National Tyre and Autocare in Hulme :grinning:.

sweet mate well done another option would have been go to another k12 and nick that section of loom and solderit all in but obviuiously you were short on time! but they do indeed seem reasonable people! my local test centre gives us 2 weeks to have a free retest done on failiures

Well done aye ! (Y)
BTW: For sure you can use my picture for your website Guy ;)

Cheers guys :grinning:. Will - I'm gonna do that, the socket's not in the best nick after freeing the pin. Quick scrappy trip and some solder and heatshrink should sort it. In the meantime, I've given it all a good scoosh of silicon spray.

Back