Modified airbox - pics?

lewic

Ex. Club Member
Have read the 'tuning your K11 - FAQ' and it suggests that K&N with modified air feed is the best setup.

I've got the K&N, and would like to try this, has anyone got pics of successful setups? I'm not a mechanic and its hard to visualise from the descriptions - dont want to end up making something that just sucks up water!

Also, on the airbox there are two pipes coming out, I know the larger one is the air feed but the other one curves round and doesnt seem to have a hole on the other end - what is this for?

The other pipe is the resonator pipe. I believe it is there to reduce the induction noise on the car. Some people have cut the tip off of it to try and make the car louder, and to get more air into the airbox. I cut mine off a few months back but it didn't make any difference, so I re-attached the tip.

Thats my air intake now Mean Micra, it works really well and I did notice a difference with it, it isnt too noisey either.

oh yeah just reminded me to post up pics of my new induction system, can only done after moving the battery to the cabin!
DSC00422.jpg

DSC00423.jpg

DSC00424.jpg

Sorry for pics not the sterdiest hand ever!fuytuu[/IMG]

are you using a Panel filter opposed to a cone filter???
Yes its a panel filter. Just installed it so off for a test-drive!

I couldnt work out from the photo where the 2nd air pipe attaches to on your airbox - have you made another hole at the bottom?

Also noticed the PCV filter looks pretty manky so probably needs replacing, would this affect performance? Its a 3* in Haynes, is it really that difficult?

need to put some pics up, havent seen yours in its entirety... have you fitted my old wheel yet???

What filter you using with it then... just std or aftermarket...

I will get some pics up. Not fitted the wheel yet mate, waiting until I get coilovers on so the tracking can be sorted.

It is a K&N panel filter I have in it.

Davey C... Modded with Ford Mondeo intake IIRC...

Lewic are you using a Panel filter opposed to a cone filter???

Pics here----->
http://www.moddedmicras.co.uk/upload/files/25-My-car-engine(web).jpg

http://www.moddedmicras.co.uk/upload/files/21-My-car-engine-bay(web).jpg

That is a really nice setup it worked very well, as scottish-sr says, not too loud either, just a deeper hummmm to the induction. picks up better between 5K - redline, thats where the difference is most noticable.

:)

Have any of you got any close-up pics of where the second pipe goes into the airbox? I wouldnt want to cut a hole just anywhere!!

That is a really nice setup it worked very well, as scottish-sr says, not too loud either, just a deeper hummmm to the induction. picks up better between 5K - redline, thats where the difference is most noticable.:)

that's where the pick up was improved after I fitted mine, a very noticeable pick up after 5000rpm and a nice deep roar.

march 010.jpg

Thanks, thats just what I needed! Is that just standard silicone sealant round the hole, or does it need something stronger?

DaveyC, was i right that you modded a N14 sunny/ Ford mondeo piping for yours... i just remember trying to get hold of them from scrappers for this application... just not 100% on the models twas a while back now...

Just to confirm ta dave..

Have you folks considered aluminum home heating piping from B&Q. It's as cheap as chips & looks superb compaired to having odd looking plastic pipes littering your hot engine bay.

Have you folks considered aluminum home heating piping from B&Q. It's as cheap as chips & looks superb compaired to having odd looking plastic pipes littering your hot engine bay.

but it is as weak as a weak thing and rips at the drop of a hat, not only that, they only stock it in 100mm and the TB is only around 75mm.

but it is as weak as a weak thing and rips at the drop of a hat, not only that, they only stock it in 100mm and the TB is only around 75mm.

I don't know about the piping you mention sonic but the one I'm on about comes In many different sizes & it's very ridgid. Check your local B&Q & go to the plumbing & heating section.

the pcv filter is easy to replace, just pull out the old gunky one and replace with a nice new one from nissan. it shouls be more like haynes 0.3*. lol

If you check out my pics i used the flexi pipe sealed and stengthened with duck tape then covered with aluminuim tape to protect from heat. Strong as an ox and as shiny as..... shiny aluminuim tape.

is there really any performance or sound difference when moving the air filter?

as a student im busy building up my cash to get a K&N induction kit, but would it be more benefitable moving the filter or keeping it where th airbox is??

is there really any performance or sound difference when moving the air filter?

as a student im busy building up my cash to get a K&N induction kit, but would it be more benefitable moving the filter or keeping it where th airbox is??

Performance wise has been pretty much discussed all the way through this thread, yes if you get it right theres a gain. Yes it will be nosier.

Back