Micra Wiki...

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Just an idea i'd like to throw around, lets make a Micra wiki.

A collaborative online manual on how to repair and care about our Micras and possibly other cars. Im part of this community wiki that helps people with problems with their PC's and its a great help.

Having a wiki could possibly attract more users to the website and also improve the general condition of Micra's if their owners see it!

The idea of a wiki, is that people write up short how-to's and fixes for problems, so that when someone else has the same problem, theres no huge hassle. And also so proper products and proceedures are used! aka. Yoms Car Care guide! :D The other good thing, is that if someone writes a wiki with a slight error in how to go about something, someone with the right knowledge can correct it.

If its a too big an ask for the web admins, ill host it and even maintain it, if i have too.

Heres the program/base i'd use...
http://moinmoin.wikiwikiweb.de/

Let me know what you all think.
Cheers, Tom.

cisco

» CMF Member
ABSOLUTELY. Perfect for this site.

WIKIs are very powerful.

Awesome suggestion thanks Toma.

I'm keen to get it to happen, exciting new project.

The problem right now with the articles section is that I am the bottleneck, and that's pointless, so much more value in the site to be sucked out from all the members if everyone had easy access to updating the site themselves.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Cool :)

Ive had a short tinker with the Moinmoin wiki and came up with this sort of thing so far... (see pic)

Im going camping for the long weekend, but ill get into reading/editing some of it and see what i can produce in a week or so. Obviously needs some colour-coding, new graphics and some smoothing over. This is the "Desktop Edition" meaning its sort of scaled down. To initially host, itll need about 20mb, but if people add photos, TONS of wikis and articles, then it may need more room!

What might be nice is some new and slick artwork to go with it... Anyone? :)

Till then! Ta-ta.

Attachments

• 13292.jpg
    13292.jpg
    111.5 KB · Views: 28

CMF_James MSC

» CMF Member
By the way i never publicly released that URL anywhere, was only disclosed to a few friends, so you are the first people i've shown it to publicly ;)

If you want I will continue to get it "user friendly". Don't worry there won't be any branding to say who owns it, it will just be a universal Micra Wiki :)

cisco

» CMF Member
I reckon we need our own.

I'll rig something up as a main section of the site or something.

Then we can link all over it and have full control.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
I agree. They're the same cars made in the same factory. They share the same common problems and all the parts are interchangeable.

Have to make it clear that there are quite a few differences between the Jap made K11 and the UK made K11 though. Not everything is a direct bolt on or swap over, etc.

A wiki which is for UK made K11's is the way to go i reckon.

CMF_queazocotal

» CMF Member
I have some piccys of rust removal under the front bumper, and radiator/... removal too, that I could pretty easily write up.

However.
Cisco, what happens to the site if you get abducted by aliens, or are unable to pay the fees one month?

That's part of the reason why I was suggesting wikibooks, though I suppose that could go away too.

cisco

» CMF Member
If for any reason I can't handle the site any more, I will hand it over properly for 100% ownership to someone else.

If you have to know, the username and password for complete access to the site is in my will statement.

I think there's a good sweet spot to had somewhere in between a full blown community owned site and a site where one person does all the maintenance and messy stuff.
It gives you more flexibility.

One of my reasons for wanting micra.com.au's own wiki site is 100% complete programmatic control between the wiki site and this site. I can incorporate it to really fit in perfectly with this site 100% spot on. Not just some other random ad hoc URL that we know to go to. And not just plugin in some ugly wiki software straight out of the box and leave it like that. Anyone can do that. YOu don't need me or micra.com.au to do that, you could do that on your personal homepage.

Its also about community ownership. If we know that our community revolves around micra.com.au, it only makes sense for the wiki to be within that. All the info, work, time that we've all put in over the years shouldn't just disappear to someone other URL. So much of that knowledge is because of the people on this site talking from day one. Part of my years of spending time on this site, micras in general, this community, is to create something valuable and keep it all within the one physical URL.

There will also be differences in between the UK community and the Aus community. Sure a WIKI can handle that as you just make categories and sub-sections, but I want our WIKI to have a real global presence, not be UK centric.

We're not interested in the K10. I'd like to see a K11 centric wiki.

Anyway, I'm going to set one up and link it in with the site, and people are free to use whichever wiki they prefer.

I'm saying I really appreciate James MSC's offer, thanks mate. And I'm open to using any WIKI and having it all uncontrolled. I'm just saying I'm going to create our own one here anyway, and anyone can use it and they can still use yours too.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Cisco do whatever you feel is best for the site.
Just remember we are not all computer gurus and keep it simple. Current site user friendly and easy to navigate ( I do know some computer words)but agree be good if all can contribute and build the data base on how to fix, modify, find bits, good guys, bad guys, sell stuff, buy stuff etc.
Anyway thats my small input to the discussion.

CMF_Alex_B

» CMF Member
good thinking people, its still kinda like a one man army at the moment.

queazocotal > i would love to see these images of rust removal from underneath/either side of radiator, please post them up here or if their too big and you dont have software to resize please send me a message by clicking on my name above. I found that same rust when doing my clutch recently. Its hidden by the front undetray splashguards, when you take them off their is two nice patch's of rust either side of where the radiator bottom bolts onto,

Alex

cisco

» CMF Member
Exactly..

I would like to see all the main sections of this site gradually moved into the WIKI area. So they were always totally up to date and had everyone's collective input.

Its impossible for one person to keep the whole site up to date, and hence its out of date all the time.

CMF_queazocotal

» CMF Member
I'll be posting in the next couple of days, when I download them from the camera. (1998 micra)
Main rust seems to be on the front member that supports the radiator from below.

Lots of rust on all sides of this, under some of the front bumper fixings.
I've stripped everything off, and am in the process of applying heat to the lower radiator mounts, to get them off, though I suspect I'll have to cut the nuts off with a dremel.
The radiator mounts are very rusty.
Fortunately - it seems to be just short of the point where it would need welding.
Last year I did the top and what was accessible of this member, without removing anything but the plate the horns bolt to, and the central pillar anchoring the bonnet lock.

Pressure washer is a lovely tool for finding poorly adhered paint.

CMF_Toma

» CMF Member
Ok. ive got a running wiki going. The theme needs a hell of alot of tweaking and a re-build of it may be in order. Finding a webserver that supports python scripting could be a challenge. Could you email your webhosting company cisco and see if they support python 2.4? I emailed my webhosting company too, but my tests look like they dont :/

However, it all looks fairly simple, and a running wiki SHOULD be up within a week, and operational within 2. Woot!

Back