MA09 Engine + Gearbox dimensions

Snikty

Site Supporter
Does someone know em?

Wiki says, Size (length × width × height): 705×575×680 mm, but I'm a noob so don't know what exactly that accounts for. Is that just the main block or is that including s/c, turbo, i/c, fueling and ecu?

I'm trying to get an idea of what else I could put an MA09 into and some of my choices will possibly be a tight fit so would like to know exactly how much space I need.

cheers

You're keen! you mean you want to try and get parts for two cars with that powerplant?

(you didn't smash your ST did you?!?! :D )

Haha no didnt wreck it.

But I have a second engine coming and in a couple of years one of them will be completely reconditioned with nothing to power, so I want to decide on what I think would suit it now so if I see a cheapy that has blown an engine but has a straight body I can grab it...yeah I know I'm mental. I was hoping for a mighty boy but I dont like my chances of having it fit lol Next choice was datsun fairlady but you dont find them cheap anymore.

Well what you can say is the MA09 engine is about as small as they get, so if that doesnt fit nothing will!

you can get a daihatsu turbo 3cyl into a mightyboy with room to spare

a mini would be another good option

Well the daihatsu is is not much smaller than the MA09. I have worked on alot of them too (gtti). MA09 is sooo MUCHHHHHH better!!

Most of the mighty boy conversions are to an F8B (800cc) with a daihatsu turbo upgrade from what I've seeen. They are a pretty tiny engine bay though I think it would be a very tight fit due to all the bits and bobs on the ma09.

This is gonna sound retarded, but I'll ask anyway...Ed might be the best person for this question. If I discover that things are wrong with the induction on this second engine like bypass etc would it be viable to do something like either remove the turbo or the s/c so that it isnt twin charged and then put higher comp pistons in it and run it at lower boost...so either just the s/c on .9 bar or go for a smaller faster spooling turbo and just run it at about 0.9 bar...just something I was contemplating for if this engine is something of a dud so I can still salvage it.

Attachments

• stripping_002.jpg
    stripping_002.jpg
    64.3 KB · Views: 326
Supercharger is good to about 150bhp. So you could keep that and dump turbo. Or you can do it the other way round and dump supercharger. I would probably do that if you wanted something a bit more mental to drive. Its up to you really.

Ed

I'd be inclined to get rid of the s/c quicker than the tubby,what about dropping to a ht-07 for a ma10et and upping the boost slightly(within limits) and the throttle respone would be serious because of the little baba of a turbo on it?

Yeah I like the idea of running a smaller turbo set up. Can someone explain to me why smaller model turbos seem to always be journal bearing?? I'd have thought they would move towards ball bearing by now.

Its hard physically making ball bearing turbos that small. Journal bearing turbos are more reliable anyway. Just roller bearing are nice for lower frictional losses. Blow off a boost pipe a few times on a roller turbo and you will most likely kill it, that would not be the case on a journal bearing turbo. Also journal bearing turbos are rebuildable, where as most roller ones need an entire replacment core.

Ok gotcha. Just a couple more things while I'm thinking about it.

If I were to do as baz suggested and dropped back to a ht-07 would it bolt straight on?

If I were looking more at getting a fast spool rather than a super high amount of boost (1 bar tops) with an end result of no more than 150bhp on stock internals would I be better off with...
a) A rebuilt ht-10 with an internal design that better suits a quick spool (ie. custom/aftermarket turbo internals)
b) same approach but with a ht-07 if they bolt straight on.
c) A smaller newer model turbo like a gt20 (already sounds too expensive for what it'd be doing)
d) just s/c it

Also, what is the thickness of the stock head gasket? If I were to do this with stock internals I'd want to get a bit higher comp due to less boost and I guess the easiest way would be to go with a slightly thinner head gasket. I assume I could get a copperplate or such made slightly thinner that would be good up to 150bhp??

cheers, steve

it will fit into....

Hi Snikty,

well this is where I come out - sort of!! - I don't have a Micra shell. I haven't been able to see one anywhere in Oz for ever. Smidge got a whole car but they are very rare. I ahve an engine box and lots of bits - and bits missing too - my idea was to slip it into a G11 Charade.
The engine and box are dangling in the engine bay of a G11 right now. It fits but it's very tight - ie there is about 5mm clearance total.
However two minutes with a porta power and the bars will spread the 15 mm or so you need.
The G11 track and the Micra are to all intent and purpose identical. There may be the need to do something with the drive shafts. I don't have originals of these ( mine have been doctored to fit in a mini ) so it's hard for me to know about this.
The GTTI set up is also difficult to plonk into a G11 and there are lots with the G11 box attached - and no doubt failing with regularity too -
The ST motor would easilt fit into the G100's and the G200's as they also took the 4 cylinder Charade motors. Bit heavier though.

cheers
Dave

Thanks for that, dave.

Thats good to know about the g11 track. I could look at charades at some point too.

Why arent you going to put yours back into a mini? I hope you get it going again, would be an interesting project. You could possibly make some of the ST body parts fit on a G11 if you played around a bit...make it look like a replica ST hehe.

you needed to see the mess!

The mini "conversion' was literally a micra front welded here ad there to a mini shell with self tapping screws etc etc. There was a nice 75mm gap between the floorpans - puddles would have been good!
It was a really badly done job - so just for bits.

I'd be interested to hear from Ed about why the ST is SOOO much better than the Charade. I've always thought that the GTTi motor was a really nice purpose built piece of engineering.

Don't get me wrong I'm impressed by the ST and particularly the way the whole twin charge package is put together

cheers

Dave

The mini "conversion' was literally a micra front welded here ad there to a mini shell with self tapping screws etc etc. There was a nice 75mm gap between the floorpans - puddles would have been good!
It was a really badly done job - so just for bits.

Thats a little unfortunate, would have been interested to see this if it was done well. Hopefully you have better luck putting it into the G11.

Back