micra S 998cc engines dies

Hello,

I am new to the forum and hopefully someone can help?

We have a 52 plate Micra S. 72000 miles. Recently on 2 occasions the engine has died whilst driving. On both occasions doing approx 40 mph with no sign of trouble and then it died. We had to wait 5 mins then it started again.

It recently had a full service new filters (inc petrol) plugs etc. I took it to a garage today who could not find the problem and advised take it to a main dealer as it may be the injectors.

Sounds really expensive........ I'm a keen amateur mechanic but hopeless at diagnostics.

Is this a common fault ? Can anyone shed any light? The car runs perfectly otherwise.

Dave

highly unlikely that all 4 injectors intermittently fail together eh dave, have you tested for any faultcodes ?

my partner tells me a similar thing happened when she was driving it but it did not fully cut out. there was no power.. coughed and spluttered and eventually picked up again.
Dave

I had the car at another garage today. Sensors seem OK but showing low fuel pressure and they are not sure why?
I am picking it up tomorrow and he will write down his findings then I will post on here.
Thanks for your replies so far.
Dave

OK, took the car to a garage yesterday.... nice guy ,used him quite a long time reputable etc. They are puzzled and unable to advise of the exact problem and have been unable to fix it.

We seemed to have narrowed the problem down though.
He feels it is definitely a fuel starvation problem. When you "floor" the accelerator pedal it lacks power/ revs.

They have used a system called "Terra- Clean" to clean the fuel system.
They by passed the fuel filter and filter seems good.
Fuel pump seems OK.
Fuel pressure regulator seems OK.

The FAULT CODE P0171 came up with a long list of things it may be including O2 sensor, air leaks etc.

They are unable to narrow this down without replacing all of the sensors etc to see if that is the problem (no guarantee) and will cost £5-700.

I found a thread on the internet which suggests
P0171 code is 'system to lean bank 1' and that some things to check are
-intake/exhaust leak
-AIR system
-MAF/VAF sensor
-fuel pressure/pump
-injectors
-HO2S

The car has 72000 miles and MOT in Aug so I'm reluctant to shell out vast amounts on it.
Any advice would be much appreciated. I see the MAF sensor comes up a lot in these threads. Is this the same as a lambda sensor and are there different sensors for pre facelift etc.? Mine is a 2002 micro S

As ever.... any advice appreciated.

Dave.

OK...... unplugged the wires from what I assume is the MAF sensor underneath the air filter and get loads of VOOM when I shove the accelerator down (although the timing wanders all over).

I assume thats the problem then?

I see there's plenty of aftermarket ones on eBay for £20 so I think I'll chance my arm with them. I see a genuine Bosch one is like hens teeth.

Dave

That's nice of the garage to quote £500-700 when they too could've unplugged that maf to try it. Glad you've found the possible problem. Those maf failings are quite common on the 2nd facelifts. The aftermarket ebay ones aren't too reliable though I've heard. Keep looking for an original one. Scrappers maybe.

so fitted the new MAF sensor today..... goes like a rocket but won't idle/ stalls at junctions when the revs are off.
I took off the air filter housing when replacing the MAF to get better access..... ? air leak?

Definately worth checking for air leaks first ... vac hoses etc

Hmmm i would have thought it might take a little while to re set itself as its likely been running poor for a while.... also does your model have and idle adjustment ... again if the mafs been playing up perhaps someone has adjusted the idle and now it needs resetting .... ? Only know the older style cars so may be incorrect info. Other thing to check regarding idle is the Idle control valve .... clean it .... replace little o ring .. can get a pack of o rings from B&Q for a couple of quid....use a smear of engine oil to help it seat ... (what i am thinking is the iac has sat in a particular position for a while .. got dirty and now struggling to sit at the right position......

Last edited:
Yes, was wondering about the ECU after new MAF sensor. I have disconnected the battery and will leave 30 mins then reconnect.
I wondered about the idle... if someone had adjusted this to compensate for a falling MAF?
Its the throttle body with removable MAF sensor. I had a quick search on here and I'm not sure if you can manually adjust the idle on 2002 model or if it is automatically controlled by the ECU etc.

I think i have heard that they are only set by the ecu .... not sure as i have the earlier model .... which is why i asked lol.....

The other thing that is worth checking if it applies to your later model are dry joints on the solder points on the throttle body .... behind the tin cover ..... you basically open up the cover .. touch the connections with a soldering iron and get rid of any dry joints in the solder ... which can cause poor running ... and stalling .... BUT i would wait to see if someone with a later model can confirm this is an issue with these models ....
Also see if the ECU reset helps ...

Thanks Tony, I don't know much about micra's .... more of a classic vw enthusiast!
I left the battery for 30 mins. Been for a drive.... no stalling but the car has wandering RPM at idle.
I read on an Alpha Romeo forum that you need 6 ignition cycles for the ECU to "learn" the new MAF.
Obvs this is not an Alpha Spider!!!! but maybe similar principle?
Will drive it for 6 cycles and see if things settle down.

Back