Micra replacement

CMF_Nissanmania

» CMF Member
The project Micra now has no A/C and is getting pretty close to being a dedicated competition car so I've been on the lookout for a replacement of the calibre of the Micra.

Biggest hurdle is that both my wife and myself had to agree on the same car. I liked the Polo GTI (naf interior and wheels) my wife preferred the Swift Sport (sorry Family Hack but I felt it looks too much like a chics car). The Colt just a bit too expensive for a run around car.

Finally we've found a small, sexy, sporty (though not a sports car), reasonably masculine car that we both like. The interior is nice, comes with nice 17" wheels and fantastic rubber (205/40's Pirelli P-Zero Nero). It's the Ford Fiesta XR4. What, Nissanmania with a Ford?? I can't help it if the new Micra doesn't light my fire. This thing should be a good bit of kit with a torquey 110Kw 2L Duratec and all the fruit standard - ABS/EBD/ESP and 6 air bags for $25K (just under $28K on-road) Got them to throw in around $600 worth of accessories like mats/weathershields/etc and refused to pay for the stipes ($300 extra but the first 500 all come with stripes so not really an option is it?). Not really that keen on the stripes but my wife likes them - go figure! They're vinyl so I could peel them off if I got sick of them. It's made in Germany (is this good or not?) and build quality seems pretty good. The price is quite good for the kit included.

As they've only hit showrooms last Monday ours will be one of the first to hit the street in Perth. Don't pick up till around Thursday so have to patiently wait to get hold of it to get a longer term impression.

This is some pics of an example (not ours) - chose red (wife's preference) but I think white is pretty hot with the blue stripes. Pity it comes with a blue coloured dash though whereas the red has a black/grey two tone dash which is easier on the eyes. They all come with great leather bolstered cloth deep bucket seats.

Attachments

• 26237.jpg
    26237.jpg
    87.5 KB · Views: 38

CMF_makes

» CMF Member
Congratulations Nissanmania.... I reckon those new XR4 Fiestas look awesome !.

Most magazine road tests I have read about the non-xr4 Fiesta say that it's an excellent handling chassis that can easily handle more power... a real "driver's car". When you get your car I would be very interested in your impressions of what this more powerful version is like to drive.

Yeah, I agree the stripes are a bit over the top for my taste... but then I prefer a 'sleeper' look rather than eyecatching "bling".

Have fun with it.

CMF_Family Hack

» CMF Member
Agree its a good choice. Like the shape. Is there not a turbo version overseas? Build quality should be okay. I like the stripes. Shades of the original Mini Cooper S. Stripes make em go faster.
Methinks overall it would be a great car for some after market mods like a turbo.
I think over the next 3/5 years we are going to see a lot more fuel efficent hot hatches come on the market as fuel prices kill of the gas guzzlers.

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
Comparing a Fiesta hatch with 1L - 1.6L Micra isn't exactly a fair comparison.

Fiesta looks like a fun ride thou, can't think of any other 1000-1100kg cars with 2L motors sold these days.
Good comparison would be with the old N14 SSS Pulsar, same weight & "power".

CMF_nz_aj

» CMF Member
I doubt there'd be room between the firewall & block for a turbo. This is a common problem in many new cars.
The answer is a supercharger mounted in the front.

While reading that wheels article I was thinking, there is no why I'd ever buy a ford but this one does look really good. Then I got to the description of the rear suspension, thought yuck, good reason not to buy it. Yes nissan used that arrangemnt in the latter 90's but they were heading for bankruptcy so there was an excuse for being cheap & nasty. (Sudden thought, ford has the same excuse)

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Ford didn't make such a huge loss this year. But they're still not making profits which is in stark comparision to Nissan which is now one of the most profitable manufacturers in the world again.

cisco

» CMF Member
Well done Nissanmania.

My favourite part of the XR4 is the rear. I think the rear looks nice.

Back