Micra name to be 'retired'

Reading my copy of Autocar today & there is a small article stating that Senior Nissan Management have decided that the 'Micra' name will not be used on the next small Nissan as it's to old and has a dated image!!!

The new car will be styled much more conventionally than the current car and so will have a new name...

(Sounds like the K13 will be little more than a re-worked Cleo/Twingo...:sick: )

I think it's the right thing to do.

The K12, really has lowered the reliability name of the Micra.

Can't go blaming the french, this would have come from the Japanese.

This was suggested ages ago. The K12 was as I knew it the last chassis to carry the Micra name.

Are they going to be retiring the March name as well though ? is there to be a K13 March ? After all a March is a JDM Micra, there is also the Taiwanese March thats still in production if someone really wanted one.

the name should have been retired at k11 the k12 as far as im concerned is an insult to the name Micra grrr

they'll probably just start calling it a march now lol

As far as 'March' goes, it was left fairly open. The feeling was that March was still a strong global brand (Micra only being used in EU) and may survive on a new car.

As for this K11/K12, we've had both (and a k10), and both have their good and bad points. Our K12 (touch wood) has so far been as reliable as our K11, with the extra refinement etc of a newer car.

Personally, I would have liked the K13 to have been a proper town car, smaller than the current K12 (maybe Twingo/500/Ka sized) shaped like a K11 with some styling points like the K12's headlight arrangement etc...

The shape of the current Fiat 500 is quite attractive imo, I think something like that would have made a decent K13, as long as Renault didn't have anything to do with the construction or design.

The shape of the current Fiat 500 is quite attractive imo, I think something like that would have made a decent K13, as long as Renault didn't have anything to do with the construction or design.

Unfortunately I think Renault have ALOT to do with the construction and design. One of the quotes was that the styling of the next small Nissan would be 'conservative' and seeing Renault have gone ultra conservative with their new cars since the Migrain (too conservative according to journalists with the Laguna) so I think the lead is coming from them. Also to keep costs down it'd be manufactured on a modified Micra/Clio/Twingo platform... possibly even using the main components like roof etc.

I think that it's a sad day indeed. The Micra brand has been in existence since (correct me if I'm wrong, and I probably will be) 1982. I've owned 3 K11s and loved every one of them. When the K12 came out, I wasn't quite sure what to think. I now think that the car is deserving of the name Micra as they are so distinctive and instantly recognisable. The same could be said of it's predecessor, the mighty K11 and K10.
Nissan needs to rid itself of the influence of Renault. I knew that it would be a sad day when the makers of the Clio were allowed virtual carte blanche to interfer with the Micra brand. The introduction of a diesel engine to the range shows this thinking.
My next car will be a Micra, while there still is one. Be that a K11 or a K12. Honda have seen fit to retain the Civic brand since 1973 and this shows no sign of abating.
Keep the brand name, PLEASE Nissan.
Couldn't we start some kind of petition to Nissan UK? Especially as the MSC is acknowledged by Nissan officially.
Long live the Micra!

Back