Micra in the bottom on reliability by 'which ' magazine

I was not surprised to see Nissan Micra in the bottom 4 of Reliability survey by Which magazine. My two month old 160SR apart from the famous 'twang' noise on 1st and 2nd gear, now the windsreen washer is broke, and passenger window rattles. Its going back to dealer on Monday after ongoing complaint to Nissan customer services. Honda came top on every category, supermini, 4x4 and large. Will go for Honda next time.

mmm...i think you bought a lemon thats all mate.

Nissan has always been very good to me and my family. had a sunny 1.4 M reg before, lasted 80k from new without service (lol), then almera on 45k still going strong, no minor or major faults whatsoever. and now comes my micra it hasnt caused any trouble so far on 18k.

to me nissan is still up there along with the rest but i guess figures dont lie.

..and the lemon just happens to be a new 'nissan micra'

I had a K11 used for 9 years , very happy no problem at all, thats why I was loyal to stay with Micra....but so unfortunate

i know what you mean mate. but sometimes new cars can be dodgy as well.

before the micra i bought an alfa romeo 147 brand new and it was full of problems. i know its an alfa which suppose to break down but you get my point. eventually my 147's belt snapped at 24k, bent the valves and the dealer gave me a bill of £2500, i refused and got the micra.......end of story! hehe

You've definetly got a lemon car. My Dad has owned about 25 Nissans/Datsuns, and they've all been 100% reliable. Nothing has ever gone wrong. And none of them have ever had a service.

your missing the point..... who owns nissan now?.... where do the parts come from?

its a french renault in a stylish hat,,,

Skyliner34 said:
Most of the bits come from Wales and England. Theres a post here somewhere about it. There isnt that many Renault parts on it.

the wing mirrors actually have renault stamped on them...

160SR: prob not a lemon, just unlucky with the windscreen washer, but i have to say it failed on one of my k11's in the past.

the other probs windows etc are common through all k12s, it'll be your brakes sqeeking next or drivers seat creaking....

Dr Zoidberg said:
the wing mirrors actually have renault stamped on them...

Yup, I know, thats why I said "There isnt that many". The rear wiper motor unit is Renault apparenty.

Btw, does the brake squeeling problems only arise when the brakes are cold?

sorry mate, didn't mean to sound condescending.

yes and no. when cold yes. and light braking when hot. although to be fair once their bedded in they are fine, no sqealing. just it seemed to take longer than most cars/pads to wear in.

Oh right. Intresting. Are the brakes on the 160SR a higher performance than the ones in the other K12?

The brakes on my dads Primera squeel when braking cold & hot. Doest matter really. As long as the car stops, thats the most important thing. :D

Yeah, thats what I thought. If their a higher performace pads, then they do tend to squeel more than usial, becuase their made of a slightly harder compound. Apparently! :)

would explain it. it was just another annoyence though when you first get the car everyone stares at you when sqeal slowing down lol

buts its only a temp irritation.

maybe thats why its named SR = Street Racer cos its got racing squeely brakes lol.

the 160SR is not all that bad, it just doesn't have the usual nissan quality. (like most here i have had a few nissans)

Dr Zoidberg said:
maybe thats why its named SR = Street Racer cos its got racing squeely brakes lol.
lol :D

Dr Zoidberg said:
the 160SR is not all that bad, it just doesn't have the usual nissan quality. (like most here i have had a few nissans)

Shame that, because you pay a premium for a top of a range Micra, and the build quality lets it down. But I have to say, the interior build quality isn't as good as the Primera or the K11 Micra. When going over rumble strips the other day, the dash was really rattling. The Primera was quiet, and the K11 was making a slight noise.

only rattle i got from my k11s was the rubber stops on the boot lid sqeeked over bumps. easily cured by new ones :D

oh and the pennies in the ash tray lol

i think the quality is what most people are let down by as they move from a different nissan to the k12, and its like wtf happen here?

Dr Zoidberg said:
only rattle i got from my k11s was the rubber stops on the boot lid sqeeked over bumps. easily cured by new ones :D

oh and the pennies in the ash tray lol

i think the quality is what most people are let down by as they move from a different nissan to the k12, and its like wtf happen here?

Haha, lol :D. Totally agree. But my pennies didnt rattle, coz it was full to the brim, I couldnt open the ash tray once :). I thought I was skint until I opened the tray :D.

may i just say.. i have had mine from new, its now 4.5 yrs old and ive covered 41k miles, the only faults ive had in the above years are.. drivers seat broke(wty) EML light came on cos of lambda 2 broke(wty) clarion cd player broke(wty) 3 probs in almost 5 years! what more can i say? i service it every 5k. jap is the way forward!
im deffo think ur just slightly unlucky with the sr160

And you class the problems you're having with the K12 as reliability issues?

Get a hold of yourself! If it falls apart around you but it keeps on truck'n and doesnt let you down - it is reliable but built poorely! Not unreliable on a whole!

Yom said:
And you class the problems you're having with the K12 as reliability issues?

Get a hold of yourself! If it falls apart around you but it keeps on truck'n and doesnt let you down - it is reliable but built poorely! Not unreliable on a whole!

i wondered why they covered this as relaibility probs, maybe they based it on times returned to dealer?? the window washer thing is a relaiabilty issue to some degree, but rattly windows and sqeeky brakes are not. yes they squeal at first but they work fine :D

the car is mechanically sound just the interior and cosmetics are poorly built. thats all.

i think people expected more from nissan, i did.

besides rik's got the best idea to fix all the rattles, pull out the interior lol.

seats - now buckets
windows - soon to be plastic
interior - pretty much gone.

You also have to consider how many of these cars nissan sells and how many people complain about issues with them

The more cars you sell the more chances you have of there being lemons and a few build quality issues every now and again!

Yom said:
The more cars you sell the more chances you have of there being lemons and a few build quality issues every now and again!

a few? every k12 made outside of japan (or at least the ones in the uk) has a poor build quality, renault introduced it to try make some money from the nissan range by cost cutting.

theres evidence of this in the last generation k11 when renault first took over.

I have the rattly windows and one washer not working, but i don't think Nissan have had more problems with this car, than other companies have had with their models.....have they??

All these people jumping up and down with their old Nissan/Datsun unscathed reliability, I do not blame you guys. Nissan used to have excellent reputation regarding reliability, I agree I owned a K11 for 9 years, loved it and I was amazed by the quality they used to be. But Nissan is letting itself down, see 'WHICH' mag report on their survey.Numbers and facts speak for themselves. Nothing to do with my screenwash pipe, it was disconnected, and I fixed it.

Yeah, it is a real shame that Nissan is dong this. All thier other cars seem to be fine. They think because the Micra is kinda cheaply priced compared to other manufactures that they can turn the quality down :(.

Hey, my Micra K11 is V reg 1999 year. Did Renualt get a chance to potch with it?

Sky

Skyliner34 said:
Hey, my Micra K11 is V reg 1999 year. Did Renualt get a chance to potch with it?

Sky

nah, they may have got some money from it, thats it. it was the post 2000 micras with the plastic sills that renault had influence in.

some good aspects like they sorted the sill to stop the rusting as quick, but some may suffer from poor build quality. not too many though.

rattling

I have a 5 door 1.6, and the damn thing rattles all over. The boot, the windows, all the plastics...

Saying that, it's quick and great for suprising boy racers!

160SR2006 said:
I was not surprised to see Nissan Micra in the bottom 4 of Reliability survey by Which magazine. My two month old 160SR apart from the famous 'twang' noise on 1st and 2nd gear, now the windsreen washer is broke, and passenger window rattles. Its going back to dealer on Monday after ongoing complaint to Nissan customer services. Honda came top on every category, supermini, 4x4 and large. Will go for Honda next time.
nissan don't really have a cure for the windows yet!!!...they do say just remove the regulater and grease up...but only works for a while then the fault comes back!!!,

crimping the window runners works, and a guy over in belgium says another method to fix it which both work, also greasing is point less for the reason in the above post

also build quality is on the up at the moment on the new micras

Skyliner34 said:
Most of the bits come from Wales and England. Theres a post here somewhere about it. There isnt that many Renault parts on it.

i no that alot of internal engine parts come from holland..

if i had a 2006 micra with lots of problems i would make a list of them and take it back give them the keys and the list over the counter and say i dont wont it back until its shorted and i dont wont a bill u ######

Back