Micra 1.3 LX

Hi, new to the forums so thought id say hi, hoping to pick the brains of members here as I picked up a cheap little runner with really low mileage for the year but am wanting to smarten it up a little. Just wanted to say that the micra has 13" wheels and they make the car look really flimsy, was looking at some 15" - 16" but don't want it to look odd or low "seen some of the models with low looking suspension" is that custom done or is that how the 15 - 16" tyres make it look. Also would it make a difference to the handling of the car ... total amateur here so don't need my head biting off by the pro's ... Just looking for advice ... Thanks in advance

16 wheels normally make it look a bit silly. 15 is a nice size with a bit of lowering though. Handling wise the drive might be a bit harsher, then you have the added weight of the wheels which could mess up acceleration/MPG I imagine. For wheels you're looking for 4x100 PCD.

Generally bigger rims = thinner tyres = heavier wheels = harsher ride = poorer fuel economy.

You need to keep the rolling circumference of the wheel as close to the same as possible.

This means: -
  • Stock: 155/70 R13
  • Upsize 1": 165/60 R14 (1.2% slower speedo reading)
  • Upsize 2": 175/50 R15 (1.6% slower speedo reading)
Since the wheels are slightly larger than the original, it will look just a little lower than before.

If you are on a budget I'd recommend you to check around for the prices of the tyre sizes above before you make the switch. Look for the most commonly available tyre size with the biggest selection so you not only get good tyres, but you get them relatively cheap. R13 tyres are hard to find these days, or at least here where I am.

If you find your ride is floaty / "like a boat" likely your shock absorbers are going bad, so changing tyres will not fix anything.

The norm for most K11's is 15x6.5 or 15x7.0 wheels with 195/45 profile tires. Some opt for a bigger 195/50, as it gives some more options on brand and price point. Saying that there are plenty of people now running 14" wheels and 13" wheels too, so it's horses for courses really.

Speaking from experience, I would personally avoid 16" rims on a K11. The only profile that really works without too much compromise is 195/40 and there are only 3 options, (Falken ZE914, Toyo T1R & Continental Sport Contact 2), of which neither is a particularly cheap option.

Back