Malfunction Indicator

CMF_Alann

» CMF Member
Hi.

Around 3 months ago, the malfunction indicator light came on on my 2001 S model Micra. This was after I'd done about 10 miles on the motorway after filling up with gas. The Nissan dealership couldn't find anything associated with the code, but replaced a faulty radiator. They advised I test-drove the car for 50 miles to see if the light came back on. It didn't - until yesterday - again after filling up with gas and driving a few junctions on the motorway.

Today, I disconnected and reconnected the battery (there was lots of gunky stuff on the bolts - is this normal?) to re-set the memory. The light is now off. I took the car for a spin on the motorway for about 20mins and the light is still off.

Any ideas? Can I cancel the appointment I made to get the car looked at?

Many thanks,
Al

CMF_MicraNut

» CMF Member
Alann WROTE:

"Hi.<BR><BR>Around 3 months ago, the malfunction indicator light came on on my 2001 S model Micra. This was after I'd done about 10 miles on the motorway after filling up with gas. The Nissan dealership couldn't find anything associated with the code, but replaced a faulty radiator. They advised I test-drove the car for 50 miles to see if the light came back on. It didn't - until yesterday - again after filling up with gas and driving a few junctions on the motorway.<BR><BR>Today, I disconnected and reconnected the battery (there was lots of gunky stuff on the bolts - is this normal?) to re-set the memory. The light is now off. I took the car for a spin on the motorway for about 20mins and the light is still off.<BR><BR>Any ideas? Can I cancel the appointment I made to get the car looked at? <BR><BR>Many thanks,<BR>Al

Hi Alan,

Welcome to the forums! I've read in my micra manual that if the MIL (malfunction indicator light) comes on it may be due to a problem with the emission control system and it reccomends to get it checked as soon as possible to avoid damage to the system. So that might be your problem. You can cancel the appointment. if the MIL comes on again get it checked right away.

PS the 'gunky' stuff on the battery terminals is likely to be grease or petroleum jelly (it is applied to stop corrosion) do not remove it otherwise it could cause the terminals to corrode.

CMF_Alann

» CMF Member
Thanks for that! Does anyone think there's a connection between the MI light coming on after filling up the car to max then driving on a motorway?

CMF_MicraNut

» CMF Member
Alann WROTE:

"Thanks for that! Does anyone think there's a connection between the MI light coming on after filling up the car to max then driving on a motorway?

Hi Alann,

I read somewhere that if the fuel cap is not tightened enough it can cause the MIL to come on. Check that your fuel cap is securely tightened ratcheting clicks can be heard when the cap is sufficiently tightened.

CMF_Alann

» CMF Member
How do I find the fault codes and where do I find out what they mean? Is there a link you can send me? Thanks v much for your help!

Back