MA12 Conversion

F

F61 JTT

Hi guys Ive recently obtained a MA12 engine and 5 speed gearbox. What need to be changed to fit this engine in my 1.0 beastie?? Any wiring?? Connections?? Engine/Gearbox mounts?????

Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!!!!!

depedns on weather its froms a face lift or prefacelift mate as the FL and PFL have differnet connectors althogh its not to hard to match up the wires it pretty much a straight swap tbh

COOL SPEEDLE!! Starting the conversion next weekend. gunna strip down the new engine and rebuild it.:laugh:

you get any probs with it mate just post em up ive done a few engine swaps and replaments so i should be able to help you with most things :)

If your 1.0 doesn't have the ecc stuff on it (which it probably wont have) it's a pretty direct swap.

If the 1.2 came off a facelift model with the ecc stuff in it you can use the complete inlet stuff from the 1.0. You can swap the manifold complete with carb etc. As far as my experiences go it's usually the most easy to do this (inlet manifold, complete with carb, airpan etc). And then all the fittings will be exactly the same and the car will run just fine. That is if the 1.0 also ran fine :) You might need some new manifold gaskets if you do this btw.

There could also be a metal pipe which comes from the exhaust manifold (on the 1.2) which goes to the inlet. When using the 1.0 stuff I don't think that will fit on there so you can just block that pipe off.

Did around 5 swaps this way and they all still work :D However if you are also changing the ignition stuff (e.g. electronic ignition from the 1.2 car) don't forget to change the coil as well, that is needed afaik. But I don't know if you also thinking of swapping that.

Oh yeah, don't know how many miles that 1.2 did. But it could be a nice idea to change the cambelt too when it's out of the car. Most of the work like that on the engine is much easier when it's out of the car than in! :p Same goes with changing the inlet manifold and stuff obviously :)

As for the gearbox, that is also a direct fit and the 5 will work right away. You don't need to change anything on the car itself to make that work. You might want to get yourself a gearknob off a 5 speed car to make it look nicer, otherwise you have a secret and hidden 5! :D

That's about some stuff that comes up right now, but since I'm tired the brain refuses to remember things clearly :p. As Speedle said, if you run into any problems post em and we can answer them quite fast!

you could also swap the exhaust manifold as it would decat it at the same time and solve the problem of capping off the pipe to the inlet

Im rebuilding the engine from scratch anyway. Cambelt, clutch, oil, fuel and plugs. Will the 1.0 carb and manifold make any difference in performance to the 1.2 carb n that??

Also do I have to change the ignition part of things? I dont have eec (i think how can i tell???)

id recommend using the 1.0 carb on the 1.2 as beleive it or not (and trust me its true) the 1.0 has a bigger jet! yes you heard me! :p and its proven to run better on that, all the inlets manifolds are the same except the ECC inlet but then its so blatently different youd know about it ;)

if you had an ecc engine it the dizzy would be quite obvisouly differenet as it has a crank angle sensor in it. also the maniolds on it would have all manner of useless crap attached to it ;)

see my ecc removal guide in the guides section its got lots of pictures :)

run it on a MA10 carm and inlet manufold. Use the standard MA10 exhaust manufold, and the normal facelift 2 wire electric dizzy. Set the timing to 0 degrees @ 800 with the vacuum disconected and blocked, then connect the vacuum again and reset the idle to 800. And while your at it, bung some new vacuum hose on. 2 pieces, 1 side of the T to the carb, and the other side to the dizzy.

it will make it run as good as possiable and is the best standard setup you can have i would expect any mega power gains or anything like that but it should be a smooth drive and economical, slim knows what hes one about so do as he says :D

guys just had a thought about this conversion do i need to use the 1.2 drivashafts and hubs or not??????

cool cheers paul. anythin else i can do with this engine to get better power or response or anyfin

Back