MA10 Carb and MA12 Carb

Hi Guys,

Just bought myself a 1.2 GS,

I have read a lot of info on the different carbs for MA10's and MA12's and can't seem to find a clear answer.

So, is it worthwhile putting the MA10 Carb onto my MA12?

Cheers

Worthwhile:

Drain cooling system & refill with new?
new thermostat while you're on?
new thermostat housing gasket?
new carb plate gaskets?
1 hours work maybe

then most of this again if its no good

IMO not worth while for the small gains in some areas (and probably losses elsewhere)

....but there again I've never tried it myself so I' just speculating really

MA10 Main JET
Primary - 94
Secondary - 130

MA12s Main JET without Catalytic converter
Primary - 93
Secondary - 130

MA12s Main JET with Catalytic converter
Primary - 91
Secondary - 130

here are the comparriosons acording to haynes....
here they are....

EDIT: Oh! cant upload spreadsheet but I got beated to it any way LOL

yup the ma10 carb has bigger jets and that is proven we knew this about 5 years ago lol.

replacing the carb is an easy job really takes about 20 mins if you've don't it before. needs new gaskets when you change it other than that nothing else has to be changed. i remember way way way back in the day one of the old skool k10 owners did this and said it did make an improvement

just put the Primary - 94 size jet out the the ma10 carb into the ma12 one this way you dont have to swop carbs......but i cannot see it make a #### of differents as the chokes are the same.:laugh:

Inlet Manifold

Ok, so weve decided that it's not really woth changing the carbs over (even though i may try it on sunday just because i have a spare carb).

But it is worth getting a weber (or su).

The only real problem then is the inlet manifold and the exhaust.

My question is: Does the inlet manifold need to be a calculated shape/volume or doesn't it matter?

And i don't need to ask about the exhaust because i am going to fabricate my own one in my spare time.

cheers

FYI SU carbs are terrible for daily use, and I mean really bad, they are good for the track, Weber is the way to go.
The inlet manifold does need to be tuned but don't ask me how.

My question is: Does the inlet manifold need to be a calculated shape/volume or doesn't it matter?

cheers

CORKER QUESTION!!

throttle bodies included in this question too would be an interesting option too..

I know BOB can fabricate inlet & manifold combos (BOB are you still into this?)

I have to admit, I am fairly interested in the individual throttle bodies / 4 inddividual carbs route for my further work.....bike carbs are becomming more popular but I would really like to know the theory / principles too before chosing a solution..

CORKER QUESTION!!

throttle bodies included in this question too would be an interesting option too..

I know BOB can fabricate inlet & manifold combos (BOB are you still into this?)

I have to admit, I am fairly interested in the individual throttle bodies / 4 inddividual carbs route for my further work.....bike carbs are becomming more popular but I would really like to know the theory / principles too before chosing a solution..

I dont know much about carbs and stuff, with what I know, with individual carbs, theres less inlet manifold so the fuel and air can get straight in the cylinder. They also let the full amount of mixture the cylinders require.

Thats about all i know

Ryan.

More than one carb complicates things with the balancing and the splitting of the lines and what not...

it does but performance is alot better for a 1.2! obviously you will see better gains on bigger engines.

You should still see significant increases on the 1.0 with a custom inlet manifold & carb setup.

Back