Lowering springs

Hey guys, looking to drop my car a little bit. But will I have to swap my panhard rod, and shocks too? I'm only looking for a slightly firmer ride with out breaking the bank. As the car will be used for mild track day use and I dont wanna go the whole hog and buy sports coilovers for something thats gonna be used on the track once a months or so..

Cheers Ewan.

Hey guys, looking to drop my car a little bit. But will I have to swap my panhard rod, and shocks too? I'm only looking for a slightly firmer ride with out breaking the bank. As the car will be used for mild track day use and I dont wanna go the whole hog and buy sports coilovers for something thats gonna be used on the track once a months or so..

Cheers Ewan.
Some 30mm apex springs shift the rear axle over about 25mm by eye, which limits wheel size without panhard rod. Matt humphries 60mm springs might be maybe 30-35mm over? might start getting rubbing on hard cornering. Cut and weld of the panhard rod to shorten is free if you do it yourself, or what, 100 quid for adjustable panhard rod? Imo if you do any lowering you want to use an adjustable panhard rod just because the springs compress on the cock otherwise...

I have been looking between 20-30mm drop, I dont want silly low car, just a bit stiffer. Im running 14 inch wheels currently. Could you foresee any issue's with that set up?

175/55/r14
They are steelies so no major negative offset. Nothing poking out of the arches. Im not worried about the wheel's clearing the arches, mainly worried that standard dampers wont cope with the extra load. :/

standard dampers and lowering springs are usually fine, mine has 30mm springs on standard shocks, much less roll, bit firmer but still comfortable. Stiffer shocks would help more but not essential. I have 175 tyres and no rub, although as i say the panhard rod pushes the rear axle over and it does look a bit on the cock

Mine is on Apex springs..

001yb.jpg

002ano.jpg

008rs.jpg

Is it adviseable to change all the rubber bushes, dust covers bump stops in the shocks and spring area when changing the springs?? im using an apex 30mm drop the car has done 120,500 miles

Back