Lower RPM after replacing distributor

Hi guys !

After my original distributor failed on my '97 1L micra I replaced it with a new one, now the car runs great but only revs up to 5k rpm...
I wanted to know, is there anything i should check on my repair ? Did I mess up something ? I would have guessed that the rpm limit is determined by the disc inside the dizzy but is there any other things to check ?

Thanks for your help !

Hi guys !

After my original distributor failed on my '97 1L micra I replaced it with a new one, now the car runs great but only revs up to 5k rpm...
I wanted to know, is there anything i should check on my repair ? Did I mess up something ? I would have guessed that the rpm limit is determined by the disc inside the dizzy but is there any other things to check ?

Thanks for your help !
Reset/check ignition timing with strobe timing light as per Haynes manual recommendation.

Good luck. :)

Reset/check ignition timing with strobe timing light as per Haynes manual recommendation.

Good luck. :)
Thanks !
I don't have the light, trying to find a shop that could time it for me but turns out it's really difficult to find any 😅

Just out of curiosity, why replacing only the distributor would put the ignition out of timing as it can only go in one way ? And why would that affect the rev limiter ? (Turns out it goes up to 7.2k when cold and 5k when hot)

Thanks !
I don't have the light, trying to find a shop that could time it for me but turns out it's really difficult to find any 😅

Just out of curiosity, why replacing only the distributor would put the ignition out of timing as it can only go in one way ? And why would that affect the rev limiter ? (Turns out it goes up to 7.2k when cold and 5k when hot)

Distributer mechanically controls ignition timing pro-rata variation as per RPM variation on a 1997 early Micra & its position is widely adjustable.

Most back street mechanics workshops would have access to a strobe timing lamp & employees who still know how to use it as a basic simple test instrument.

A Haynes workshop manual & basic timing lamp together can be bought for less than a garage bill & you can use U tube videos to teach yourself these basic skills that will last a lifetime if you are interested.

Have fun & enjoy the journey working it out.

Self-taught 45 years ago, been learning updating continuously to this day & saved a lifelong small fortune avoiding garage bills vehicle repair costs with simple DIY. ;)

Last edited:
Hi Paul,

Thanks for your help ! I am now 100% certain timing is correct as it was done by a real mechanic :D

However the issue remains, when cold the engine revs perfectly and after 15-20 minutes of driving it keeps "bumping" between 5 and 6k rpm, going down the longer I drive....

I am thinking spark plugs from the feel of it or faulty distributor from factory as these new parts are far less well made than back in the days... but not sure why it's only when hot, would you have any ideas on what it could be ?

Thanks again !

Quote; “After my original distributor failed on my '97 1L micra I replaced it with a new one, now the car runs great but only revs up to 5k rpm”.

What appears to have changed prior to the onset of a misfire when hot, is only the distributer, as per your statements.

Therefore it is logical to focus on the distributer that changed & and the work carried out at that time.

As you state that a mechanic carried out the work than perhaps it may be appropriate to return the unsatisfactory work outcome to him for rectification.

The workshop will have oscilloscope test equipment to test spark waveform & intensity throughout the cold start & hot cycle operation & its full RPM range.

Thorough inspection & test is key & not replacing parts at random without justification; - should be one hours labour cost approx?

A plug is most unlikely to fail during distributer replacement & plugs would have been renewed during routine servicing schedules.

Good luck ;)

Last edited:
Back