Low oil level noises

CMF_LWC

» CMF Member
Twice 12mths apart the oil level on LWC has got down to the Low mark on the dipstick. Less than 500ml needed to being back up to Full.

When the oil is low like this it makes a funny noise when starting the engine from hot. There is a noise like the oil pump is not able to fill the hydraulic timing chain tensioner and it rattles for about 5 seconds. The noise sounds a bit like the starter motor is running on but it is not.

This motor is very sensitive to a low oil level and I am going to take more notice, especially using low viscosity oils which seem to burn up quicker over summer in Canberra!!

Anyone else find this happens too?

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Nup. Rev the absolute crap out of my current motor (150,000km, noisy timing chain when the engine is hot now) and it doesn't burn any noticeable amount of oil.

CMF_Grincheuse

» CMF Member
My micra has 190,000 km on the counter and does a funny noise as well, like a rattling noise for about 2-3 seconds when i start up with a cold engine. this is not everytime now though... I changed the oil (had not done it since 10,000 km) and now I wait a litle before turning the engine off. This leaves some time for the timing chain to gather up some oil before coming to a stop.

Back