Lost my locking wheel key

curtis

Ex. Club Member
Ive lost my locking wheel nut key thing!!

Is there any way to get locking wheel nuts off without the key?

I dont care if i have to distroy the nuts, as i have another set

they are mCgaurd ones, also cant use that tool from halfords due to the alloys holes being to small, i have to use a special socket to undo the nuts as it is lol

How do you drill them out?

Thanks Curtis

you'd need some proper heavy duty machinary to drill those out. best bet is to take it to a tyre/wheel place and see what they can do. chnages are the alloys will get damaged in the process

chances*

Some of those keys and/or their packaging have codes on, so you can ring the place in case of emergencies....don't suppose you still have the packaging? :p

Maybe even call the manufacterer....maybe they could send someone out to match it?

Failing that....don't take your wheels off....ever! :p

Whenever I have to drill bolts out, you basically drill into it, and then slowly as you can, reverse the drill. Hopefully the bit will lock into the thread, and twist the bolt out with it.

But, I don't know how locking nuts work, so it might be a failed effort.

If you wanted to get real technical, you could weld another bolt head on top of the locking one, and then use a regular spanner.

Ok tryed:

Welding on a nut, but weld kept failing
Locking wheel nut removers (£10) from halfords, couldnt fit into alloy
ETB cant touch it
ATS dont wanna touch them
I dont have the Mc guard number for them

Anything else i could try?

Thanks Curtis

curtis

if you remove the other nuts, then whack the back of the wheel (block of wood and sledge hammer) furthest away from the locking nut, it will usually stretch the stud and free it off a little, enough to undo the nut with a chisel or a hammered on socket

most garages (not tyre depots like ats etc) will have a locking nut remover, try asking at your local mot place or mechanical garage, theyll prob charge you £15 or something like that to do it but at least youll have the security that they wont damage the wheels, and if they do theyll have to pay for it

The locking wheel nut removers have been tryed by me and dont fit into the alloys, im gonna smash a socket over them this weekend and see if that works lol

Kwik fit got mine off piece of cake. Their locking nut removers are much more likely to work if they use the gas/air pneumatic drills (insert proper name) that they usually use.

I had two alloys on the back and steelies on the front at the time, got the front ones off by grinding them down to fit a spanner but the back ones were recessed so couldnt try that, so i tried the chisel method and knackered the chisel.

Also suprised by how easy it was after trying a few garages before that quoted me about £50+ to do it! Only cost £10 from kwik fit iirc.

usually locking nut removers would come as a set, so id be surprised if there wasnt a thin reach socket that would be able to fit inside the gap, if they cant do that theyll jus drill them out and retap the threads, shouldnt be too hard a job as i know of tooo many people who have lost theyre nuts and ask for them to be removed!
or quite often you ask them where it is, and when you describe it they say "oh yea i didnt know what it was so its at home on the breadbin!"

I have about a 1mm gap around the locking wheel nut, i struggled to find a socket that would fit into it to do the normal nuts

I gonna try smashing a socket over....then other things after

I cant just drive the car to the garage due to my engine problems, so it will have to be towed, which i dont wanna do...

I have about a 1mm gap around the locking wheel nut, i struggled to find a socket that would fit into it to do the normal nuts

I gonna try smashing a socket over....then other things after

I cant just drive the car to the garage due to my engine problems, so it will have to be towed, which i dont wanna do...

Thats what i did with the mcguard locking wheel nuts. It was scary how easy they were to get off.

Think I used some random imperial size which was never going to be used and it worked a treat.

Back