LH/RH ball joint replacement

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
FAST doesn't show a seperate part number for the ball joint.

I seem to recall seeing that it was tac welded into the wishbone.

I'll have a squizz tomorrow and report what I find. If it is tac welded you'll just have to buy new wishbones but if it is pressed in there's a chance you'll be able to get them pressed out and source some joints of the same type and have a mechanic press them in (they will most likely exist on another car, quite possibly an N13 Pulsar for which nissan and holden sell seperate ball joints, N14 and newer pulsars are still pressed into the wishbone but nissan only sell the whole wishbone complete with joint and bushings and I know you can use n13 joints on n14 and newer pulsars).

Tom

CMF_LWC

» CMF Member
Unfortunately the ball joints are not serviced as a separate item; genuine or aftermarket. We can sell you new lower control arms at $241.44 for the left hand side, and $374.32 for the right hand side, all prices include GST.
We do not have a workshop manual, but our workshop is happy to answer any questions you have.

Duncan Bone
Hardmans of Armidale
Ph 02 6772 8009 (parts direct)

CMF_LWC

» CMF Member
Autopro sells universal ball joint boots for $6.40 I fitted one today to the RH control arm and will see if it is okay.
The ball joint is TRW branded I will see what equivalents are around.
There is little wear in the joint which is okay.

Ball joints are pressed in and look remarkably like pulsar ones...

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Mate.. Was just about to post up that the ball joints are pressed in on my car.

Which means they can be replaced. And yes, they look suspiciously like Pulsar joints size wise.

CMF_Yom

» CMF Member
Just an update. No they can't be pressed out on aussie micras. They are pressed in to begin with but the smarty pants at nissan have then locked them in by pressing the steel around the joint. Grrr.

LWC did you have a part number for the universal boot by any chance?

smidge

» CMF Member
Yom i noticed when i replaced my subaru ones, that if you go down to autobarn there are a few standard sizes for ball joint and tie rod boots that snap on over the joint after you've cleaned it and re greased

they aren't more than a few dollars per pack of 2

i did this on my soob and haven't had any issues yet

CMF_LWC

» CMF Member
The photo shows the rubber boots. They aren't an exact fit but close enough to keep grot out!
LWC

Attachments

• 28227.jpg
    28227.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 24

CMF_LWC

» CMF Member
when you assemble the joint the upper seal tightens quite nicely. The pressure on the lower seal is okay.
The TE4 may be a tighter fit on the upper side but I don't think it matters that much as it is shielded by the upper arm anyway.
LWC

Attachments

• 28230.jpg
    28230.jpg
    14.4 KB · Views: 36
Back