Koni's >installing dronts< ???

CMF_jamm'n

» CMF Member
Well i've bitten the bullet and have sent away for koni's all round. Now I've done a search on the Tech Forums, for koni installation and have come up with very lil.
I thought maybe the relevant info' was lost last year when the site was down:-(
Anyways i was wondering if anyone could help me.
I'd like to know what is involved with the fronts, do you have to cut, install koni insert and shut the old stocko struts or whats involed....
i was quoted $4-500 just to install the fronts alone :-o
(i don't think they wanted to do them) lol

CMF_evade

» CMF Member
i got my dad to help me with the fronts..pretty simple really they have instructions that come with it.

first take the strut out and get the spring off it

you have to then drill a small hole at the bottom of the strut in the centre - let all the fluid drain out.

the instructions tell you how far down from the top of the strut you have to chop off. get the hacksaw or whatever electrical tool you have..and cut around it. you have to rotate the strut as the metal shaft runs down the middle.

drill out the bottom hole so its large enough to fit the bolt that attaches to the bottom of the koni.

push the koni down the tube. theres these little lumps that the strut will slide over to hold it into place..screw it down

thats about the most i can remember from it..

CMF_bosito

» CMF Member
If your still running those k-macs you won't need spring compressors either. Hi matty.

Attachments

• 12668.jpg
    12668.jpg
    3.6 KB · Views: 13

CMF_jamm'n

» CMF Member
Hi Craig :-D
hahaha yeah the Kmacs are sooo cool, gr8 ride height. and not to mention the price :p

Good idea Aaron, thanx mate.
I'll see how i go when i get my goodies. I'm excited about it because i'm so ova bouncing all ova the road, and i hope that these lil konis will put an end to it. And also, if i'm going down to the "cold air micra meet" i've got to have it all sorted first. It would be hell going that far with "jamm'n" the way she is ATM.

CMF_Snoopy

» CMF Member
Like arron said it's fairly straight forward. I just did my mk1 gti swift fronts. Just follow the instructions take your time & wear eye protection, esp. when drilling the bottom of the struts as some are gas over, so they will release a small amount of pressure when you drill them. Also remember to paint where you cut & any bare metal so it doesn't rust. Good luck.

CMF_White Knight

» CMF Member
Yep thats about it Matty. Just follow the instructions that come with em.
When installed I would try em on the softest setting first up.
You will be amazed just how much better she will handle.
I tried the mid setting but with the Kmac lowered springs I found it was too harsh.
THe hardest setting you have to be dead set fanging around a race track .

Back