Kanagawa05

CMF_Pikey365

» CMF Member
I have been searching the web for a set of alloys that look the same as the yellow race car on the JPEG image 064. I think this car looks the dogs and I want some of them wheels. What are they and where can I find them. They look like Minilites but have more spokes, and Minilites don't do wheels for the Micra. Can anyone help?

CMF_D1cefiro

» CMF Member
Yep thats right.... them wheels are RS Watanabe's
All the Watanabe wheels with dish ie: Rtype wheels only come in a PCD pattern of 4X114.3 unless special order brand new from factory.
I do beleive they make a F8 type (wheel without dish) this wheel is the same design just no dish and they come 4X100PCD.
However these wheels are extreemly pricey but very very well built.
If your lucky enough you can pick up a good second hand set out of Japan alot cheaper than brand new. It would take alot of hunting aroung though as these wheels are highly sort after especially by Hachiroku enthusiasts.
If your going to buy them brand new prices start from $420 USD per wheel for 13" and can go up to and probably over $600 USD for 15"

CMF_D1cefiro

» CMF Member
On the same topic of wheels, stud patterns... has anybody ever heard of or seen any spacers that change your stud pattern. What i mean by this is the spacer would bolt onto a 4X100 and the studs off the spacer would be 4X114.3???????????

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
D1cefiro WROTE:

"On the same topic of wheels, stud patterns... has anybody ever heard of or seen any spacers that change your stud pattern. What i mean by this is the spacer would bolt onto a 4X100 and the studs off the spacer would be 4X114.3???????????

yes, i have seen those spacers, they where custom made by a machine shop

CMF_Dodgy Haro

» CMF Member
If you are dead serious, you may want to use the services of Glenn Kowta at Upgrade Motoring ... he was good in acquiring my Work Equip 03 rims for my MX5.

I can only say that be prepared for a long wait (6 months at least for custom making and postage) however with the $AUD strong at the moment, it's not a bad time to place an order.

Just remember to ship your wheels separately ... duty at 15% can undo you when it arrives. ^_^

Unfortunately Watanabes are not availble through him BUT he has access to SSR rims including the Mk1, 2 and 3's.

http://upgrademotoring.com/

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
Hub adaptors are nothing unusual, but you're better off buying the right offset wheels first off rather than comprimising and going for spacers. If you go for cheap hub adaptors/spacers you could end up paying a hefty price if they fail on you.

I've seen plenty of low offset original RS wantas up for sale in 13" and 14".. they're not that uncommon. ;)

Edit: Also, don't know why you mention AE86 folk wanting them. AE86 = 4x114.3 - hub adaptors are a bad way of getting the right PCD and yes, if you go with a set that's 4x114.3 then they'll inevitably be a RWD offset, and once you use hub adaptors it will space that out so much that you'll likely be in the negative offset range, and even flares won't help you there probably.

---dens

CMF_D1cefiro

» CMF Member
deNs WROTE:

"Hub adaptors are nothing unusual, but you're better off buying the right offset wheels first off rather than comprimising and going for spacers. If you go for cheap hub adaptors/spacers you could end up paying a hefty price if they fail on you.<BR><BR>I've seen plenty of low offset original RS wantas up for sale in 13" and 14".. they're not that uncommon. ;)<BR><BR>---dens

Why i want the spacers made up is because wheels in the 4X114.3 variety are easier for me to come by when it comes to decent Japanese brand wheels. Also the dish look in a small rim is what im after, and most of these are 4X114.3

CMF_D1cefiro

» CMF Member
deNs WROTE:

"Hub adaptors are nothing unusual, but you're better off buying the right offset wheels first off rather than comprimising and going for spacers. If you go for cheap hub adaptors/spacers you could end up paying a hefty price if they fail on you.<BR><BR>I've seen plenty of low offset original RS wantas up for sale in 13" and 14".. they're not that uncommon. ;)<BR><BR>Edit: Also, don't know why you mention AE86 folk wanting them. AE86 = 4x114.3 - hub adaptors are a bad way of getting the right PCD and yes, if you go with a set that's 4x114.3 then they'll inevitably be a RWD offset, and once you use hub adaptors it will space that out so much that you'll likely be in the negative offset range, and even flares won't help you there probably.<BR><BR>---dens

If you go into a Hachi forum you will see most of them guys using RS watanabe's coz they are 4X114.3 and very sort after by them. RS watanabe Rtype are 4X114.3 unless ordered from factory brand new.

And yes i do intend to use flares in the near future. just finding the right offset and wheel takes time as i will most likely purchase them second hand.

CMF_D1cefiro

» CMF Member
sportsclassic WROTE:

"The only problem with spacers is that the wheel is sitting on the studs not on the hub, it puts alot of load on the studs

yea i understand that. which is why i would only use it for street use.

or....

Is there any known hub/brake/caliper upgrade that can be easily sourced and fitted that would change stud pattern to 4X114.3???

CMF_sportsclassic

» CMF Member
We had a customer come in two weeks ago, he was using spacers, he said that he could not do up the wheel nuts, because the studs had worked loose on the hubs. The studs had been working loose for so long that all the hubs had to be replaced. He was lucky that only one wheel fell off not four...

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
D1Cefiro: I used to have an AE71 and a KE70, i've been on several 86 forums for quite a while ;) People pay absolutely STUPID premiums for nice wheels in 4x114.3, and there's less demand for low-offset dished wheels in 4x100. It'll create more hassles for you if you decide to go for hub adaptors or if you want to change your hubs over.

It is not hard to find low-offset 4x100 wheels on yahoo japan. There is plenty of choices for different makes and models of wheels from plenty of places in japan.

---dens

CMF_D1cefiro

» CMF Member
yea i have seen simalar problems on 1400kg skylines and laurels and i was thinking that the micra only weighs half that so it would be alot less stress on the studs. But i guess thats not the case after time.

Hub upgrade might be the safer way if there is any possible conversion. otherwise sticking to 4X100 might be alot easier/safer.

CMF_D1cefiro

» CMF Member
deNs WROTE:

"D1Cefiro: I used to have an AE71 and a KE70, i've been on several 86 forums for quite a while ;) People pay absolutely STUPID premiums for nice wheels in 4x114.3, and there's less demand for low-offset dished wheels in 4x100. It'll create more hassles for you if you decide to go for hub adaptors or if you want to change your hubs over.<BR><BR>It is not hard to find low-offset 4x100 wheels on yahoo japan. There is plenty of choices for different makes and models of wheels from plenty of places in japan.<BR><BR>---dens

I see what u mean now Dens....i was just thinking that 4X114.3 wheels are so easy for me to come by so i was looking for a quick n easy way to swap stud patterns, but quick n easy isnt always the best way.
Would be better if you could change hubs but yea....until i find more info on this ill just have to leave it as is for now

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
I'd be interested if a hub conversion to 4x114.3 were possible without too much modification, but unless the bolt spacings are the same you'd be looking at almost completely changing over brake assemblies maybe.

Easiest way is just finding the right wheels for you in 4x100 PCD.

---dens

CMF_LonePhantom

» CMF Member
I didn't think that the reference to 24p and 02p were offset related. For FWD I would be thinking from memory that the offset you would want is around +40?

I could be way off though, brain not so good at the moment!

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
To me it looks like 24p just means 24 positive (i.e. +24). +40 would give you a wheel that sits fine within the guards. You could probably get away with anything up to about 7" wide with that kind of offset.

---dens

CMF_deNs

» CMF Member
+24 is pushing it with stock guards maybe, but you could probably work out where the wheel would be sitting in relation to your guards if you break out the measuring tape and do some checking (i.e. centre line of the wheel is 24mm behind the hub, then find out how close 3" in front of that will sit to the guards).

That last part doesn't sound quite right, but you get my idea. If you could get any 6" wide rim and play with offsets to see how one would sit you could do that too.

---dens

Back