K12 wheel bearing life

We've just had an advisory on the MOT for slightly noisy wheel bearings.
The car is still under 80k miles, that doesn't seem a lot for a modern car.
What's the average life for K12 wheel bearings?

Depends on whether its front or back, my rear ones were supposed to be changed when i bought the car (60K on the clock), however they had been put on by a trainee and knackered the seals when changing. so If you need new bearings put some decent one on as I have tryed the cheap ones and dont last more than a 2K. Also if the weather seal fails the bearings will wear out quicker.

Front ones will be more difficult to change as they are pressed into the steering Knuckle and the ABS is attached to the ring around the outside of the inner bearing, so main point it can be done if you have the equipment to do this and the patience it should not pose a problem, however if not get the garage to do this and enquire the brand of bearings that would be fitted before proceeding!:unsure:

I've got a press and done bearings before. Seems it's one front and one rear. I was out in the car recently and the rear is noisy. I dont see the car that much as it's my kid.s

Yes they can be a pain, usually the wear on the inside of the drum creates a lip with prevents the drum slipping over the shoes. I replaced both my drums and shoes with new springs and check every year for dust build up and condition of drums.

We've just had an advisory on the MOT for slightly noisy wheel bearings.
The car is still under 80k miles, that doesn't seem a lot for a modern car.
What's the average life for K12 wheel bearings?
Just had the offside rear bearing replaced at 27k miles. Like you, I thought that was rather a short life!

Bought my K12 at 63K miles, with a noisy rear wheel bearing, one owner from new with full service history, which showed no sign of previous bearing changes. I fitted a pair of Lucas rear bearings, and shortly after 20mm rear wheel spacers, which obviously increase the loading on the bearings, offside rear one changed again after a further 50K miles as it had got very slightly noisy again.

The UKs Third World standard pot hole infested now virtually unmaintained roads combined with a hard throttle & brake driving style puts additional load stress on front & rear wheel bearings & suspension shortening its design economic useful life cycle. ;)

Yes they can be a pain, usually the wear on the inside of the drum creates a lip with prevents the drum slipping over the shoes. I replaced both my drums and shoes with new springs and check every year for dust build up and condition of drums.
To make life easier, slacken both cables fully off. Then push the bottom of the h/brake lever in with a screwdriver so the lever goes right back, past the stop. This retracts the shoes enough to allow Any Brake Drum to be slid off with ease. This is a factory tip from Citroen (same brake family) works a treat over the last 45 years working on French cars.

The K12 bearings are a very common size. I usually cross-ref and buy on price and quality. One of my my other cars BMW E36 Touring I got genuine BMW boxed SKF bearings for £8 a pair. Decent Micra ones shouldbehad for £25 for all four. I will add some refs when I get a computer with a working keyboard...

BTW those very corroded-looking nuts & bolts are coated at the factory with a superb anti-seize chemical. At least they are on my 2008 K12. Every single bolt came out beautifully with a Lidl 1/2" 220v impact gun. £29 in their sale. Plan on new wheel cylinder too. They seize/leak at around the 45k miles mark.

Back