K12 radiator, out the top or bottom?

There is supringly little on the K12 radiator replacements.

I've seen on the web the recommended is to remove the slam panel and lift it out, but haynes says take the lower support off and drop it out the bototm.

It's the aircon condenser I'm changing but it's the same for both.

So what's best, top or bottom way?

Well, that got as many replies as expected going be previous unanswered questions.

Decided to go for the top route, mainly as access to the side connections was needing access from top anyway. Fairly straight forward, other than refitting the top slam panel was a pain to get the bolt holes to line up each side.

Just seen your post, yes top way is best, I have changed my radiator and after cooler (mega amount) as engine has been refurbished, the slam panels are a pain but you get easier access to the engine bay and can change the rads easier that way the lower support stops in place and is easier to locate the lower rad tabs when replacing.

Depends on your model, but as i have just replaced my rads, starter alternator and fan motor(diesel version), for me it was easier to place the rad on the lower support when refitting, I also replaced the rubber bushes on the slam panel (screw out anti clockwise) as they had perished when removing.

The official way involves tie up the rad and condenser to something structural at the top - there only is the slam panel, but then warns to be wary of the weight of the components

The condeser rad is bolted to the main radiator with 4 screw bolts, if you have a charge cooler then this has to be removed as well as this is hooked on to the condenser rad and is in front of the condenser rad.

Last edited:
The petrol has both of them separate on rubber mounts top and bottom, the condenser just sits an inch in front of the rad.

Yes each model has differences, however as both engine rad and condenser rad both sit and locate on your lower support, if you removed from the bottom support then both rads would tend to drop. The top way is the best as the condenser rad has a sensor attached to top pipe so it would be better to remove from the top. I am trying to picture the best way without disturbing anything else. :)

Back