K12 DCI remapped

Hi guys, I recently (well a few months back) had my micra DCi which i have owned since June remapped at my work. I bought the car as a daily as i was doing a long commute every day, however have since changed jobs and dont have to drive so far. But since it uses so little fuel and is so cheap to tax etc, im going to keep it as its really good fun to drive, especially after the remap.

Originally it was the 82hp version, and with the addition of a k&n panel filter and a re-map its now 112.8hp @4500rpm and a smidge under 170lbs/ft @ 3000rpm.

Since i bought it in June ive covered nearly 17k miles in it and apart from a rear wheel bearing its been a beaut!

I think people need to do more diesel tuning, as it looks like everything is going that way anyhow.
:down:

Alot is, the thing is you get a pretty big power gain for fairly little outlay, plus with fuel prices and road tax and all that jazz diesels are becoming more popular.

That said, the whole reason why i bought a diesel was so that i could have a weekend toy in the form of a ps13 silvia. Just happened to be a micra as it was the best thing i could get for the money, and im a bit of a nissan freak lol

P101015_191317.jpg

Thats the graph, i don't have any pics of the car, its just a normal k12 sve in blue with a crazy cream interior lol. I would love to stick some coilovers etc on it tho if i had some extra dosh.

There is prospects for more power out of the 1.5 dci lump too, as i think the higher power dci's as found in the quashkai etc have a bigger turbo on them, so with one of them and another re-map....:p

Be careful when getting a different turbo. Alot of the turbos on bigger nissan diesels like the x-trail, N16 almera, are prone to failing.

Be careful when getting a different turbo. Alot of the turbos on bigger nissan diesels like the x-trail, N16 almera, are prone to failing.

yeh i'm aware of that, apparently the turbo's on these micras are prone to failing too due to the egr valve clogging up. The first thing i did when i bought the car with 38k on it was whip the egr valve out and the inlet pipe connecting the egr to the inlet manifold (inlet manifolds part of the head casting so couldnt remove that). Gave it all a good clean, as it was pretty gunked up. Checked on it a couple of months back and there was a bit of soot in there but nothing like when i first took it apart. Along with this i service it every 6k with decent oil which is a third of nissans service schedule, so that should help.

I'm not really planning on getting a different turbo, its just a thought really, easy to get carried away lol, will end up defeating the object of getting a cheap to run car.

Good to hear this car has an owner with common sense (Y)

Whats your fuel economy like? Does the good torque figure show when driving?

Cheers, im a bit of an anal nut when it comes to cars, I hit a pheasent in it a while back, and as well as replacing the bumper with genuine nissan parts, i took the time to underseal the front end whilst i had it off. Cant stand the rust bug!

The fuel economys really good, when i used to do a 100 mile a day commute i would get 75mpg average every week or there abouts, that was driving at a constant 65 where possible. Just drove back from Devon today and it averaged 58mpg and i was doing 85 the whole way back although i had been doing alot of town driving before hand which drags it down. I drove on the motorway for 3 hours the other week and i reset it before i left, by the time i got to my destination (doing 65) the average showed 93.5!!! Around town i get an average between 50-55mpg, although it could get higher if i didnt get so short fused in traffic lol. However recently i have found that some journeys the mpg guage is accurate and some its not - i was wondering if there is a way of having it callibrated?! That said i've never let it run out of fuel so havent got a true miles per tank to work out the mpg myself.

The torque really is whats used to be honest, although peak powers at just past 4500 i rarely use it unless i have to, where as driving with the revvs between 1750 and 3000 its effortless and pulls if anything better than it does at peak power. Its no speed demon but for what it is it goes pretty well. It certainly puts some other cars to shame :grinning:

hi mate the figures look good can the standard k12 ecu be remapped without any additional parts ?
as this would be something i`d like to have done in the future on my k12 :)

Yes the standard DCI Ecu can, although not as much can be done with the non-intercooled 65hp versions. The reason i put a K&N in mine was just for peace of mind really. The map is a pre fabricated item for the 1.5 DCi which is flashed onto your ecu and then fettled on the rolling road in order to suit the individual vehicle best. Well worth it imo :grinning:

The stock intercooler is fairly substantial to be honest its a front mount item too so does the job pretty well. I think ive got some pictures somewhere i'll have a look. I have put zip ties around the boost hoses recently too as i notaced they expand a fair amount - pretty much a cheaper option than silicone hoses or a hard pipe kit.

Im not sure who the ecu is made by tbh, not looked.

P100904_175744.jpg
You can make out the intercooler in that picture, taken from when i undersealed the front end.

P100731_175241.jpg
Thats the pipe that links the egr to the inlet manifold before i cleaned it, best shows the amount of gunk

Yer thats what 2 old lady owners do in 38k lol. Yeh i signed up on there a while back through a guy i knew through another forum with an n16 DCi. Some good info on there, havent posted up my re-map results on there tho

Yer thats what 2 old lady owners do in 38k lol. Yeh i signed up on there a while back through a guy i knew through another forum with an n16 DCi. Some good info on there, havent posted up my re-map results on there tho

That'll be ed i presume? lol

i think there bosch ecu`s in the k12`s next time i`m on my other computer i`ll have a check if it says on the parts catalogue

mine`s the 1.2 petrol engine so that map would be no good for me but i think they all use the same type of ecu so it looks like i won`t have to spend a lot on a piggyback ecu or anything like that

an i know what you mean about the k&n it was one of the first mod`s i did to my car

i think there bosch ecu`s in the k12`s next time i`m on my other computer i`ll have a check if it says on the parts catalogue

mine`s the 1.2 petrol engine so that map would be no good for me but i think they all use the same type of ecu so it looks like i won`t have to spend a lot on a piggyback ecu or anything like that

an i know what you mean about the k&n it was one of the first mod`s i did to my car

Ah cool, yer you dont get much of an increase with n/a petrols unfortunatley. I've got a k12 1.2 E in my garage too - long story involving inheritance etc, its my mums second car that she doesnt use, registered in my name for insurance, no one uses it, its immaculate, only done 14k but my dad wont sell it because its a good car?! No good if its not being used by anyone imo lol

I'm thinking of getting mine done too. I also joined another forum cliodci.net which is a useful site seeing as we share engines with the Clio.

If I'm right I think it's the injectors that actually restrict the amount of power you can get. The turbo itself is ok for approx 150-160 bhp and the intercooler might be adequate, the problem is the injectors not flowing enough. There is some talk that Citroen C3 or C4 (sorry, can't remember which) injectors will fit and be able to flow enough. If not you are looking at custom parts and that's big bucks!

I'm thinking of getting mine done too. I also joined another forum cliodci.net which is a useful site seeing as we share engines with the Clio.

If I'm right I think it's the injectors that actually restrict the amount of power you can get. The turbo itself is ok for approx 150-160 bhp and the intercooler might be adequate, the problem is the injectors not flowing enough. There is some talk that Citroen C3 or C4 (sorry, can't remember which) injectors will fit and be able to flow enough. If not you are looking at custom parts and that's big bucks!

Ah rite i've never heard that. Some usefull info there cheers! When speaking to my workshop manager who mapped it, he said he ran a map that made 115hp on the car however the smoke was too excessive for the road so settled with this one. If your interested drop me a pm and i can get you some contact details for my work etc

Just out of curiosity, how much was yours to be remapped, or was it free? And how much would it cost for others? (presuming your boss offers it)

Have you thought about LPG injection for diesels as a booster?

It is quite popular in Australia and makes the engine run VERY well as it burns all the fuel you inject.

Hi Doz,

Is there any chance of your boss agreeing to a forum discount? Where abouts are you based? I would be interested in a remap for one....

Slam

I'm thinking about a diesel for my next car and I love my K12, soooo - looks like an interesting project. Buy a low miler 82 bhp dCI and get it mapped (Y).

Hi Doz,

Is there any chance of your boss agreeing to a forum discount? Where abouts are you based? I would be interested in a remap for one....

Slam

Hi, i'm sure he would! We are based in Gloucester. Well worth it imo, everyone that comes in the car is amazed at how brisk it is and how good the mpg' are lol

Back